Update on my "bent" friend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diversauras:
There are many places in the world where one is not allowed to dive without insurance. In Israel every dive shop can write it on the spot, but without it you can't even get gas.

I like it because it protects everybody involved. It makes people responsible for themselves.

Christi:
I have a space on the dive application asking if they have it, and if not, I will get them signed up on the spot. I don't REQUIRE it, although that's a thought! I do however, explain the benefits of having it and strongly encourage it.

Now that you mention it, I think I recall you asking us....of course us Canadians are always insured up the hoop........

Actually Christi, from your end, what's the stats on who are or are not insured? Is it generally 99% of people are, or is the one group that can be singled out as the "problem children" of no diver insurance?

By the way...a real update!

My friend was discharged from the Dr.'s care yesterday and will be flying home tonight. I don't know who's happier, him or his wife!

He does still have some neurological symptoms, although minor compared to what they were. He has stabilized and now he will just need time to recover. The next couple of weeks he is restricted as far as physical activity, just as anyone getting out of th e hospital after surgery.

Sorry if this grosses any of you out, but it's the best analogy I can think of. Think of a "bubble" as a bullet wound. Once the bullet is removed, there is still nerve and tissue damage that cannot be seen, but nevertheless needs time to heal. The same goes with decompression sickness. The bubble(s) have been removed with the HBO treatment (Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment), but there is tissue and nerve damage in the area(s) that needs to heal, which will be a good 4 to 6 month period. As the nerves and tissues sart repairing themselves, he will make noticeable improvement everyday. The good news is that they don't EXPECT any permanent damage, but of course only time will tell.

On another positive note, last night, my friend received a personal call from a very high ranking executive from the DAN Insurance company. He assured my friend that the money would be reimbursed by DAN before he even returned home. They were cutting a check for the full amount, inlcluding the hospital charges at that very moment.

Just as a note, the Dr. here was trying to do a courtesy to my friend by filing the claim and securing payment directly from DAN, rather than having him pay and then file a claim to DAN for reimbursement (which is the customary way most facilities outside of the US do it).

Moral to the story...it is actually better if the Dr. does not file the claim for you. Pay it and file it yourself.

Happy ending to a not so happy story :)

My husband and I were discussing this about 6months ago. I told him that soon I bet everyone will be required to have some kind of dive insurance to dive.

Mine is up for renewal in April.

Like Christi said don't dive naked. It is cheap in comparison to what you will have to pay if you don't have it.

Christi:
My friend was discharged from the Dr.'s care yesterday and will be flying home tonight. I don't know who's happier, him or his wife!

Wish him luck for us. I imagine he'll be pretty white knuckled on ascent...

Christi:
On another positive note, last night, my friend received a personal call from a very high ranking executive from the DAN Insurance company. Once he found out that my friend had secured full payment by wire transfer to the Dr., they went into "oh crap" mode. He assured my friend that the money would be reimbursed by DAN before he even returned home. They were cutting a check for the full amount, inlcluding the hospital charges which they had also initially refused at that very moment.

Great news! I didn't think he would have any real trouble getting paid for services already rendered.

Christi:
By the way...a real update!

He does still have some neurological symptoms, although minor compared to what they were. He has stabilized and now he will just need time to recover. The next couple of weeks he is restricted as far as physical activity, just as anyone getting out of th e hospital after surgery.

Sorry if this grosses any of you out, but it's the best analogy I can think of. Think of a "bubble" as a bullet wound. Once the bullet is removed, there is still nerve and tissue damage that cannot be seen, but nevertheless needs time to heal. The same goes with decompression sickness. The bubble(s) have been removed with the HBO treatment (Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment), but there is tissue and nerve damage in the area(s) that needs to heal, which will be a good 4 to 6 month period. As the nerves and tissues sart repairing themselves, he will make noticeable improvement everyday. The good news is that they don't EXPECT any permanent damage, but of course only time will tell.

On another positive note, last night, my friend received a personal call from a very high ranking executive from the DAN Insurance company. Once he found out that my friend had secured full payment by wire transfer to the Dr., they went into "oh crap" mode. He assured my friend that the money would be reimbursed by DAN before he even returned home. They were cutting a check for the full amount, inlcluding the hospital charges which they had also initially refused at that very moment.

Just as a note, the Dr. here was trying to do a courtesy to my friend by filing the claim and securing payment directly from DAN, rather than having him pay and then file a claim to DAN for reimbursement (which is the customary way most facilities outside of the US do it). That's when DAN attempted to refuse full payment and tried to get the Dr. to reduce their rates once again (even though they had already done so).

Moral to the story...it is actually better if the Dr. does not file the claim for you. Pay it and file it yourself. They will have no choice but to reimburse you because they know they can't fight it and win...you'll get the money faster too.

Happy ending to a not so happy story :)

Very nice to hear. I'm sure having you as his friend helped his healing, made it faster too.

So, would you still not recommend DAN, or is DAN just a problem in Coz? Your feelings on PADI dive ins?

pilot fish:
Very nice to hear. I'm sure having you as his friend helped his healing, made it faster too.

So, would you still not recommend DAN, or is DAN just a problem in Coz? Your feelings on PADI dive ins?

You know what...I am not going to comment one way or another on DAN.

I have Dive Assure, and I pray that I never have to use it, but if I do, I hope that there are no problems with the payments.

Christi:
You know what...I am not going to comment one way or another on DAN.

I have Dive Assure, and I pray that I never have to use it, but if I do, I hope that there are no problems with the payments.

Is PADI Dive Ins OK? That's what I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom