Upgrade from Padi Scuba Diver to Open Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@missitnoonan

Where we are going the difference between Discover dive and Scuba Diver course is 180 euros (about 220 USD). If not for the wedding i will have no problem to pay for the OW but....

Please don't worry about justifying what you can pay or maintaining your traditions.

@Damselfish

I was pointing out that where i am going the price difference between Discover Scuba and Scuba Diver is significant (and from what i know the difference is justified). Anyway i am still hoping to have money for the OW in june. In Romania we have a saying "Hope dies last".

I wish the very best to you both!!! If Scuba Diver is the level, then go for it. Get in the water and dive! The rest will come in its time. In my part of the world, the vast majority of visiting divers are lead by a Pro, difference being the Scuba Diver becomes my buddy.

I agree, if that's what you can afford than that's what you should do .. don't worry :)
... it also may fuel a passion for getting that OW Diver cert as soon as possable :D

@katdiver

Thks. I was decided to wait for the OW but know you've made me wonder.

You've been so helpful so i dare to ask another question. If i take the scuba diver course what course materials should i get from the instructor and what papers he sould give so that i can upgrade to OW diver course (some certification card)?

I cant find anything on this subject on the padi website (maybe i am not looking where it should).

Hi Bodanel, you should get your open water manual as you have to work the first three chapters of this on your way to scuba diver. Tables usually come with the manual (in my part of the world anyway), but they are required for the full OW cert. You will get a Scuba Diver certification card, so to upgrade, go back, do chapters 4 and 5, remaining pool sessions, final exam and OW dives 3 and 4. The classroom and pool work you can do at a local dive centre to you, then take your paperwork on vacation to do the OW dives, this is called a referral.

Hello everybody. I've decided to put my future wife to negociate all the things for the wedding and i will go directly to OW (she has some talent for negociating so i dont think that will be a problem for her to provide me with some $$$$ for my course:eyebrow:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom