Upper Keys Water Temps 1st week Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The above posts are pretty accurate for temperatures. The water just dropped to 75 degrees here and the air is cold this week at 60 degrees... brr I know :) If you were just doing short dives, a 3 or 5 mm would be fine. Since you will be down longer than that, a 5 or 7mm might be ok. Since you do want to try to be in the wetsuit, I would definitely bring it.

When I worked in KL a few winters ago, I dove in a 3mm suit w/ 3ml shorty. And as the temp dropped, I purchased my 1st hood 3mm. And then my 7 mm jumpsuit, and then a 7mm hood. "They" all laughed at me but at least as the water temp dropped to 72 on the Speigel Grove I wasn't cold at 100+ ft. Then I met the "Yankee invaders" escaping the snow wearing their dive coats and knew I had to have one of these cozy wraps. During my Staff Inst. training, I laughed when my CD dove his drysuit..."pasha, this is FL, a drysuit?" He responded "I'm a WIMP...warm intelligent marine person." I'll never dive a drysuit...never say never, because God will laugh at you. I cursed that day in KL when the water was 72 and the air temp was in the low 60s. God laughed back when he dropped me in SoCal and I have yet to see a warm balmy 72 here. I now own a drysuit, and yes I would now dive it in Key Largo in the winter with thinner polar fleece for longer bottom times and dry surface intervals during the windy winter squalls.

What class are you taking? Sounds like you'll have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom