Urchin diver loses boat - Santa Barbara Channel, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
5 mile swim, frigid water, no thermal protection. I may not believe this. I bet he stops for future pee breaks.

The waters of the Santa Barbara Channel got choppy and sloppy with the winds last week, and when Scott Thompson fell overboard near Santa Cruz Island, he surfaced to see his urchin boat — the Miss Grace — motoring away from him.

He’d left it in gear as he’d stepped to the side of the boat for a pee, but the chop against the starboard side made him lose his footing on something slippery. The sun was setting, and his first impulse was to chase after the boat, but the current was against him. Instead, on a moonless night, wearing only a T-shirt and a pair of shorts, Thompson swam for the lights of the nearest platform he could see.

In the comment stream of an Instagram post by TowBoatsUS, a salvage service out of Ventura Harbor, Thompson related that he’d gone out in a terrible mood. A very good friend had died of a heart attack recently at the age of 38, leaving his wife and two little girls about the same ages as Thompson’s own. “Really?? Really?? This is how it all ends??” Thompson wrote. “I thought of my wife and kids immediately and just thought, ‘Okay, you’ve got this … figure it out.’”

He headed for what he thought was Platform Gina, trying to encourage himself and to push away negative thoughts as he kicked and pulled through 57-degree water. “At some point a little seal showed up and started bobbing around checking me out, and I was so happy to see another living creature I just started to talk to it. I even asked him for a lift at one point.”

Thompson finally reached Platform Gail, greeted by a swarm of seagulls. He grabbed hold of a platform leg, getting cut up by barnacles until he caught a swell of water and was able to reach a ladder. “The guys on the platform took very good care of me, and well now you all know! I’m soooo thankful to be alive and here resting at home with my family.”

Towboat captain Paul Amaral estimated Thompson was probably in the water for five hours, swimming for his life, perhaps conditioned by his urchin diving for the cold temperature.

His friend Casey Brown said, “Not a lot of people survive that one,” and Rose Brown has started a GoFundMe to help repair Thompson’s boat, which was recovered — in one piece but in need of repair and gear — in Frenchy’s Cove at Anacapa Island.

The story has changed to a five-hour swim. Maybe I should offer him my spare snorkel vest to wear on boats.

5 hours in 14C water, a mere vest isn't gonna cut it. Maybe a heated one with lots of spare batteries.

I'm astonished. Most people in street clothes last much, much less time in water of that temperature.

OK, at least, he had to take a leak -- and it wasn't some numb-nuts effort at a "selfie" that almost killed him . . .

Wow..... So glad to hear that this guy survived this!

Kind-of on topic.....I fish, crab and shrimp alone regularly on my boat up here in Puget Sound and the thought of that scenario has always haunted me.......so I have the FELL MOB system installed on my boat. It's a wireless waterproof FOB that I wear on my wrist so if I for any reason end up in the water, the FELL system senses when I am more then 25ft away from my boat and cuts off the motor. The system works on both my main and my kicker. At least that will give me a chance to get back to the boat instead of just watching it troll off into the sunset.

PS.... I also am never on my boat without wearing a class V PFD.

PSPS..... Once the FELL system cuts the motor, there is a 6 second delay and then the motor(s) can be restarted normally.

OK, at least, he had to take a leak -- and it wasn't some numb-nuts effort at a "selfie" that almost killed him . . .
Piss on the DECK! Especially if you are alone - nobody will know.
Seriously, more than one person has been lost while taking a piss (we think anyway).

I try not to leave the helm with the boat in gear, but sometimes I catch myself doing exactly that.

Another reason to attempt to make sure anyone (everyone) on the boat knows the most rudimental basics of how to start, stop, steer the boat and how to call on CH 16.

Several weeks ago on a windy day, I slipped, lost my hand hold and found myself existing the platform with my crocs on my feet, my one piece suit down around my ankles and the unattended boat drifting downwind quite rapidly. I struggled to swim and kick and was not making it. I was trying to kick gentle enough to not risk losing the crocs,. Quickly decided to kick off the crocs and was able to cover the short distance on the surface. Scary, even when the boat is off.

I always wondered how long a person of typical aerobic fitness could survive in a situation like that. Presumably you'd be pretty motivated to keep moving. If you're a world record setter, apparently you can survive for over 12 hours. (Record time swimming Monterey Bay) But I don't know if I could swim for 5!

Piss on the DECK! Especially if you are alone - nobody will know.
Seriously, more than one person has been lost while taking a piss (we think anyway).
Noooo.

While it is not meant to be seen as a reflection of my attitude towards Ohio State -- Go Buckeyes! -- this 1998, commemorative thirty-two ouncer has seen a disgraceful amount of kidney-tapping . . .

Attachments

• E0E916F5-4A6A-417E-9392-B4D74363E38F.jpeg
    E0E916F5-4A6A-417E-9392-B4D74363E38F.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 69
I have the FELL MOB system installed on my boat. It's a wireless waterproof FOB that I wear on my wrist so if I for any reason end up in the water, the FELL system senses when I am more then 25ft away from my boat and cuts off the motor. The system works on both my main and my kicker.
I have to wonder why any boater wouldn't add one of those: Fell Marine MOB+ ECOS Basepack Multifob Gen 2
I also am never on my boat without wearing a class V PFD.
But I have also wondered and even asked why boaters and divers don't wear those. Most just don't bother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom