Urchin diver loses boat - Santa Barbara Channel, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wondered how long a person of typical aerobic fitness could survive in a situation like that. Presumably you'd be pretty motivated to keep moving. If you're a world record setter, apparently you can survive for over 12 hours. (Record time swimming Monterey Bay) But I don't know if I could swim for 5!

I'm in OK shape and more importantly: swam competitively since not-quite-six through school, and then back in the pool 2-3 times a week after wrecking my back a decade or so ago... In 28C (pool, Caribbean) water I should be able to do 5 hours and some 7-10 kilometers, and come out not shivering too badly.

In 14C water: no thank you.

The people I know who sail, have lightweight little things draped over their neck and down their chest, with a simple waist strap, that inflate automatically upon falling into the water. I understand not liking bulky PFDs, but it seems like that sort of item is unobtrusive enough that it would be good to wear all the time.

As a boat owner, it seems to me that having an additional person on the boat that knows how to operate the boat is a really good safety system.

As a boat owner, it seems to me that having an additional person on the boat that knows how to operate the boat is a really good safety system.

Anyone going out on any boat I've had gets operating lessons. Usually they can do a passable man overboard drill by the end of the day. Most love it because they get to "drive the boat" and learn a important trick, and I don't really want to pilot unless it gets interesting.

Read the book A Speck in the sea, it’s about a fisherman that falls overboard while underway. It’s an amazing story of survival.

If he's too cheap to buy a Fell MOB system I guess.

From this story today of a boat sinking, it sounds like they didn't have a water-activated emergency alarm on theirs. Fortunately, one person happened to see and call 911. 3 fishermen rescued from freezing waters after boat capsizes off Massachusetts coast

If he's too cheap to buy a Fell MOB system I guess.

From this story today of a boat sinking, it sounds like they didn't have a water-activated emergency alarm on theirs. Fortunately, one person happened to see and call 911. 3 fishermen rescued from freezing waters after boat capsizes off Massachusetts coast
An MOB system is another piece of technology that can go wrong. I think they are a great idea, but another competent person board is a damn good idea. They can
stop the boat
bring the boat back to you
call for help
help you get back onboard

I have also done delivery trips with one person on watch where a MOB system would have been very attractive as you are effectively on your own, until achange of watch, by which time the boat could be miles away. FYI I did have a PLB and a torch in my pocket.

There is no one solution to safety at sea, it is a combination of human behaviour and technology.

The gentleman who fell overboard only needed to put the gear shift in neutral or turn the motor off, and this thread would not exist. A very low tech solution.

Here's my low tech solution!

iqAmnbP.jpg

As a diver I think it's obvious what the peeing solution should be.
As a fisherman who regularly goes out alone on a small(ish) rib in not the best weather conditions, this is a reminder to check that my kill cord is in working order. I have it on a elastic bungee and can reach pretty much anywhere on the boat with it clipped to my pant leg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom