US Congressman Takes Hit for Flying Flag during Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveScoop

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It's amazing what people choose to make issues of. I applaud Congressman Allen West for showing his colors over the weekend in Deerfield Beach!

Congressman Takes Hit for diving with flag

REP2-300x155.jpg

Ranks right up there with car lots flying a half dozen 10'x20' flags, patriotism or promotion?

Where are these people when protesters are burning the flag?
The man is a military officer and combat vet, he has the right to fly the flag....just wish I could vote for him.

Ranks right up there with car lots flying a half dozen 10'x20' flags, patriotism or promotion?

A US Veteran who is a current US Congressman goes scuba diving with other (disabled) vets and you find there's a parallel with car lots flying big flags?? Simply amazing..... :rolleyes:

Don't say "Takes a Hit" when speaking of Divers.... I was thinking something entirely different.

A US Veteran who is a current US Congressman goes scuba diving with other (disabled) vets and you find there's a parallel with car lots flying big flags?? Simply amazing..... :rolleyes:

He's also a politician that knows how to set up a good photo op, all that's lacking is the national anthem playing with the picture

Like I said, promotion or patriotism

Attachments

• west.jpg
    west.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
My only question is whether flying a US flag underwater is considered appropriate. I don't know for sure... I've heard opinions on both sides. If it is not considered appropriate to do so, I can see the criticism. If it is appropriate, who cares.

Appropriate? I would tell those people to get a life, it's just a flag. This is not a criticism to anyone in particular on this thread, just a general rambling about this sort of "happenings". I understand some people have a deep sentiment of patriotism instilled into them, but this is ridiculous. I can see the criticism as it being a "photo op" from a political standpoint. I dunno if you could criticize that. Politicians are what they are, and they always are in the lookout for a good photo op. A flag, a baby, an old man, it's all the same to their marketing department. Get pissed because they take a photo with a puppy too. I think there are much better reasons to get angry at the political class everyday than this though.

But being outraged because it would be appropriate or not for a flag ... it's a flag, a piece of cloth, for god sakes. Even if you burn the thing it is still only but a flag, polyester and some cotton. I can understand concepts like honorable cause, and even nationalistic feelings (even tho I prefer to think I am a citizen of the world). But we need to put things into perspective. People should get outraged that someone fires a shower of hellfire missiles into a populated area in afghanistan, or get really pissed about how much money your government spends on contracts, local government, federal government, any government (unless you are the contractor, of course). People should be outraged there is poverty, not enough opportunities for everyone. Nationalism is used by whichever side needs to instill the patriotic feeling in an attempt to have things go their way, or attract a feelgood sentiment.

It's just a flag. Get outraged about the things that REALLY matter. That's what I think. But then again, I am not a flag person. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom