US Divers Calypso history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mleong once bubbled...
Hi Ben / Neil,
Can you all please give me some more information on the Calypso IV first stage? What is good about this 1st stage, LP and HP port etc. Thankyou very much in advance

michael
Hi Michael,

Did you want to know about these regulators for diving with? This thread was about the older Calypso regulators from the 60s and 70s, and all have been recommended by US Divers that they not be used for diving due to high work of breathing, etc.

US Divers still make regulators under the Calypso label, but I know nothing about them other than they're a cheap regulator :)

I too purchased a Calypso in the 1971-2 period. The second stage has "J" printed on the purge button so it was a standard model, not a retrofit. The first stage has a main low pressure coming out the end, and 2 more on a turret. There is only 1 high pressure port coming out at an angle from the bottom. Patent Number: 3.426.790---- The serial is 411244.
The sucker still works. At one point in its career I raised the IP some and connected a Cyclon 2nd stage to it. The part I liked about the "J valve" feature was that when it kicked in it made breathing difficult, not impossible, so you could still breathe while hunting around to turn the J (I never used a pull rod). I too remember that the Scubapro w/ BRA had just come out. I do not remember the Calypso being a hard breather. In fact, it was the early scubapro's that I thought didn't breathe very well, knob or no knob. It could be a little wet somethimes. Wow, this is a flash from the past!

I forgot to ask if you wanted any pictures of my Calypso J? It's actually looks pretty good. There are some scratches but no brass showing and I have the original LP hose for it (I have no idea why I took off a good hose way back then) So in essence I have a totally original Rig.

otobmark once bubbled...
I forgot to ask if you wanted any pictures of my Calypso J?
Sure - post a picture on here. I'm aware of two different versions of the Calypso J, would be interested to see if there are others.

Never post a pic so don't get mad if I get it wrong

If this attachment doesn't work then it is clear I have no idea how to post an attachment. I went to the attach file box and browsed over to the image on my harddrive and then posted. I'm pretty sure I did the same on the previous post and no joy. :( If I was 12 then I'm sure I could do this.......................

Neat thread.

I've always thought that the old metal bodied regulators looked extremely cool. I'm tempted to buy some old ScubaPro 109s and HPs for recreational diving. A ScubaPro Mk5/HP breathes just as well as most gear on the market now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom