US Navy divers with Poseidon XStream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They use whatever finds its way into the inventory. Military is supplied by the lowest bidder offering the most equipment and support.
Not always. Elite units often have non-compete procurement options. EOD is an elite unit.

Plus a metal backplate can make magnetic mines go BOOM.

I’ve dove with EOD and FBI units conducting dive ops and even performed mine sweeps for various ships in San Diego bay. Many of us wore BP/W setups. Even when I went through post-blast training with the FBI a BP/W was not an issue. I had an EOD Commander in my unit for a few years. They dove what was available. Sure, they can make an open purchase for certain items that are not available to them in NSN or to expedite a specific item but when it comes to routine gear, thats all provided under contract. How are they going to maintain an inventory or complete required maintenance if every diver did there own thing. Even the EOD teams on the carriers I deployed on all had the same gear down in the dive locker. Feel free to dig around the current list but most of their equipment can be found here.

I knew EOD had custom and expensive low metallic rebreathers in the past, so a plate seemed a bad idea.

Neat list, but it needs pictures :confused:

Reactions: DAJ
Not making the argument that military gear is not good. I just caution folks when they see it being used by .mil and think that the military selected the item because it was the best there is. Sometimes it’s good stuff and other times, there are better options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom