Use of a pre-dive checklist on the incidence of diving mishaps in recreational scuba+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An idea just came to mind that needs more evolution. What if you could put a custom checklist on your dive computer? That checklist would need to be gone through to get into dive mode. Most diver computers can hook to PCs and Mac now. Hopefully they will all have Bluetooth and/or WiFi soon. That checklist in-turn becomes part of your dive log.

I might actually use it if I weren't such a complacent SOB. :wink:

Great idea. Manufacturers could keep it simple just like a To-Do list that's free form (user can choose to include what they want checked off depending on their gear). Each item needs to be checked off before dive mode. Also has capability to be turned off for divers who subscribe to normalization of deviant. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
An idea just came to mind that needs more evolution. What if you could put a custom checklist on your dive computer? That checklist would need to be gone through to get into dive mode. Most diver computers can hook to PCs and Mac now. Hopefully they will all have Bluetooth and/or WiFi soon. That checklist in-turn becomes part of your dive log.

I might actually use it if I weren't such a complacent SOB. :wink:

I own the Mares Icon and it's been a great computer for me. A two year old could operate it it's that intuitive. 3 gas switching computer, no trimix for you technical guys, BUT one of the features I love about it is you can store and pull up maps and pictures. The picture feature has been great and is used on every trip. I keep a scan of my pre dive checklist, DAN card, drivers license, health insurance card, fishing license and credit card on there. I check the pre-dive list before a dive and it keeps me from making a stupid mistake. It has also comes in handy when stopped by FWC coming in from spearfishing. All the other divers were searching for their wallets and I just pushed a button on my computer. A user friendly semi required check to dive on a computer sounds like a good idea, but as mentioned it should have the ability to be disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit that I have never used or seen checklists for open circuit Scuba. What do you put on it besides "turn the cylinder on"?

... With open circuit, the problem I see is trying to program in multiple types of gear set-up configurations. Any ideas how to do that?

I suppose it could use a main and sub-menu approach. I can't see needing more than two levels even though there may be several "technical" configurations.

... A DC that forces you to click through a checklist? That better be a feature I can turn off.

I concur. I would approach it by just skipping over it if the owner does not configure one or more check lists.

... Manufacturers could keep it simple just like a To-Do list that's free form (user can choose to include what they want checked off depending on their gear)...

My first thought is for the user to build the check list using a dive computer application installed on a general computing device or tablet. OK, or even a smart phone -- anything with a keyboard or simulated keyboard. In an ideal and fully evolved world it could be in the dive log application software.

That same application would be used to edit the dive computer configuration as well. The manufacturer could provide some sample check lists to edit if they what or if the training industry were to settle on a few standard versions.

I own the Mares Icon and it's been a great computer for me. A two year old could operate it it's that intuitive. 3 gas switching computer, no trimix for you technical guys, BUT one of the features I love about it is you can store and pull up maps and pictures...

It will be interesting to see if that feature is copied by other manufacturers over time. Although a great idea, the trend seems to be to put it on a smart phone using dedicated apps.

This is in-line with another post that inspired the checklist idea:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...looking-back-up-bottom-timer.html#post7543526

I have to admit that I have never used or seen checklists for open circuit Scuba. What do you put on it besides “turn the cylinder on”?

I agree, not much to check before you dive. Valve open, both regs working with CO headache test. The computer allows you to set two alarms based on PSI. So that is considered before each dive. In all reality though I should have said it's more of a gear check list. I actually use it more for pre "dRive" to the marina. Something like leaving fins at home would be a stupid mistake.

Edit: I'll add that if you were doing a dive that required a more in depth plan you could simply type out the plan and save the image to the computer and always have it available. However, those types of technical dives are beyond my training, so maybe it's really not necessary.

... I actually use it more for pre "dRive" to the marina. Something like leaving fins at home would be a stupid mistake.

I do have check lists for packing dive gear. I actually grabbed the wrong bag once and ended up 100 miles away with coveralls and steel toe boots instead of a wetsuit. I really get anal for fly-way dive trips. However, I would stick with paper for packing lists.

I do have check lists for packing dive gear. I actually grabbed the wrong bag once and ended up 100 miles away with coveralls and steel toe boots instead of a wetsuit. I really get anal for fly-way dive trips. However, I would stick with paper for packing lists.

Ahh, but if your check list is on your dive computer, guess what you're not going to forget??? Lol

I have an app called Scuba Check on my iPad that was created for making sure you have all your gear and stuff for dive trips. I find I quite handy and it helps me avoid those arrivals at the dock missing my air hat, fins, etc.

If it wasn't so inconvenient to carry an iPad to where I set up my gear, the app can be edited to create a pre-dive check list. For inexperienced divers I see the value of a check list, for the experienced or complacent divers, not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. I mean granted, I dive solo mostly and mostly drive to the shore sites. If I were flying all over the place to different places requiring varied equipment I would just check and re-check everything 100 times. No list necessary. For assisting with courses I vary a bit what I bring. For my routine dives it`s just a regular procedure of where everything goes to get ready. Again, no list needed. I have lists and notes all over the house for everything under the sun --ask my wife.......If I don`t need a scuba procedure or equipment list no one does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom