Use of Tank Bangers and Rattles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stainless Steel $6 double ender is my noise maker. I only use it as a last resort when I must get the attention of divers who aren't paying attention. Like when they're about to smack their tank on the thousand dollar aquarium acrylic tank window. Or when the team is split up and going in opposite directions.

I've only had to use it 6 times out of the 150 dives I've ever done. Most times a light signal or a little poke is enough to gain the attention of everyone. Briefing team awareness goes a long way too.

I wouldn't pay for any other noise maker and especially not a poker (most people I've seen with "pointers" usually use them as pokers). A simple light or even your finger is enough of a pointer. I don't think you need a long stick or laser pointer at all.

Hi all,
Do you carry and or use an underwater signalling device?

yes

What type do you use?

a flashlight

What do you think of the product below? It is a combination rattle/tank banger that is about 1 ft long.

First impression is that it is not nearly robust enough for diving, particularly the shaft. I would characterize this bit of gear as a "gizmo" that is not fit for purpose.

How much would you spend on a product like this (no cheating to see the real price)
I couldn't be persuaded to buy this thing. In fact, I couldn't be persuaded to use one even if it were given to me for free. That said, hypothetically, given its flimsy design you will need to replace them frequently so it would have to be dead cheap. I would say that anything more than $2.50-$5.00 is a bad investment even for people who could somehow be convinced to buy one.

R..

P.S. I would think that one of the lessons you need to learn in marketing is when to walk away. Many products are not fit for purpose and you can sometimes do more harm than good by attaching your name to it. I think you may find based on your "marketing study" is that there is no market for this device. What will you do with that result? Sometimes giving a client the bad news is better on the whole than wasting their money on marketing that won't work.

Wife and I use the type that's a ball which goes around the tank. Mostly to signal each other at times when we lose each other in zero visibility situations. Three dings with a response means we are ok but lost each other. I do agree it's annoying when a divemaster uses one to constantly point out everything. Was quite annoyed he persistently kept using a rattle until we aborted the patch of coral with the shy spotted drum we were trying to photograph to show us a group of clawless lobsters that are nothing compared to the ones we see every dive at home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My daughter and I use just a plain rod to tap on our tanks. We are relatively new divers so this just gives a little extra comfort factor that we can signal to each other if needed.

Also, if one of us clearly identifies that the other has missed something interesting then we will use it.

The rattler part, I hate it. The kind of sound it generates, it really doesn't show any directional information. It is just noise. The listeners have no idea where it is coming from. To make it worse, the sounds travel quite far. So you can hear the rattling, and look around and don't know who it is coming from. If you need a pointing device, get one without the rattler. You don't want to act obnoxious under water.

The point device part, I saw lots of people use it in my Thailand liveaboard. I got myself one and bright it along to Hawaii. After first dive, I left it on the boat for the rest of the trip. Not once I find I need it. It is just another thing that can get stuck or do some damage to the surrounding.

So overall, don't waste your money.

They are quite popular in SE Asia, but obviously not in the states. I'm with those who would probably pay my buddy to leave it on the boat. Noise makers are probably my least favorite aspect of diving, powerful lights work well.

the muck stick is sometimes used by photographer to steady oneself so they can get that macro shot. Of course, it could be overused and abused, which I saw someone did, poking into everything including corals, just like the banger, which can and there is always an abuser of it.

I would take a different approach.

Market the training not the device. "Underwater Signalling Specialty " has a nice ring to it. Of course this device would be required equipment for the class.Maybe charge $15 for the standard model, $20 in "Tek Black" and an extra $10 for a sidemount mounting kit. (Sidemount is the hot new trend in recreational diving y'know)

Be sure to manufacture optional badges/caps/coffee mugs so the proud diver can show his achievement to the universe.

Back
Top Bottom