Used B/P wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
That wing has an awful lot of dump valves on it (all potential major failure points particularly given their position), the inflator/octo is less than worthless and should be replaced (only $20 for an inflator though), the inflator is ridiculously long, the pull dump should be removed, the pockets on the waist are worthless because waist pockets are hard to get into, the harness is overly convoluted and has the massive 3" shoulder straps that I hear people complain about constantly..

The tanks might be useful, but it looks like they have the odd angle that makes your first stages stick up into the air....

In reality (where the rest of us real divers are) there is nothing wrong with the bladder nor the IQ Pack harness/pockets. They will be just fine for any kind of diving since they are very flexible. The shoulder straps are perfectly fine and very comfy, the pockets are well accessible if you take the effort and patients to learn where they are and will have no problems reaching them (unless of course someone tells you that they are not reachable because they conflict with point 7 on page 34 of the "bible" yet they never actually used them in their life once)

As "shocking" as it is, I will have to agree about the inflator, replace with a standard, slightly shorter inflator for better results.

Tanks, I cannot comment on since they are not visible, but the valves/manifold looks like a Genesis din, if the tanks are ok then you can always replace the manifold for something better suited. But these should do fine for now.

jonnythan:
In short, IMO of course, this is the type of trash OMS has been marketing for years.. people buy it because it looks so very cool and technical, not because it works.

What the heck was that???? Is this a personal attack towards a manufacturer and all the people that purchased and dive with their gear? Are you deliberately putting down a well established piece of gear and belittling the rest and all of this coming from a Scubaboard staff member???? Trash? Who made you an expert on this field? And what your precious "H" crap is better??? Please!!!! Grow up and stop forcing your believes on someone else.

You're in Okinawa right? Is this a deal from a Japanese shop or from inside military circles? This is important to know as there is a difference between American tanks/manifolds, and Japanese ones. AFAIK you can't get American tanks legally filled in Japanese shops - and vice versa.

Hey, please rotate your attachment next time.

Second, you can get any good feedbacks about OMS rig here. We have covered it many times.

Kim:
You're in Okinawa right? Is this a deal from a Japanese shop or from inside military circles? This is important to know as there is a difference between American tanks/manifolds, and Japanese ones. AFAIK you can't get American tanks legally filled in Japanese shops - and vice versa.

It if from military circles, There are american shops all over the island so no big deal getting tanks filled, besides air is free at the american shops. The guy is asking $400

1. What sort of diving you plan to do with it?
2. How much are they asking?

I am planning on doing some boat dives and a couple of shore dives where there is little walking to get in and drop down off the wall,

The guy is asking $400.

DTB1981:
It if from military circles, There are american shops all over the island so no big deal getting tanks filled, besides air is free at the american shops. The guy is asking $400

1. What sort of diving you plan to do with it?
2. How much are they asking?

I am planning on doing some boat dives and a couple of shore dives where there is little walking to get in and drop down off the wall,

The guy is asking $400.
Sounds like a good price. I'd get it and try it out - what you don't like you can always replace. Are they Alu or steel tanks? I have to pay around $400 for a steel tank in Japan (and that's close to cost!) and I didn't think Alu was much cheaper.
As for OMS - people have different preferences. Calling them 'trash' though is a little strong IMO. If it works it works, and I don't hear stories of OMS being sued regularly because their equipment kills people.

Kim:
Sounds like a good price. I'd get it and try it out - what you don't like you can always replace. Are they Alu or steel tanks? I have to pay around $400 for a steel tank in Japan (and that's close to cost!) and I didn't think Alu was much cheaper.
As for OMS - people have different preferences. Calling them 'trash' though is a little strong IMO. If it works it works, and I don't hear stories of OMS being sued regularly because their equipment kills people.

They are alum 80's they run about $135 each new. I can get some used ones for about $70 - valves. steels are between 320 and 390 new depending on size. 200 to 250 used.

Kim:
Calling them 'trash' though is a little strong IMO. If it works it works, and I don't hear stories of OMS being sued regularly because their equipment kills people.
If it killed people, I would speak much more strongly against it and use better words than "trash" :wink:

One mans trash is another mans treasure. You can steam line the rig as needed. Don't worry about the dump valves. Have the seals replaced. You can change and configure the set to fit your type of diving. The doubles alone are worth somewhere between $250 - $350. The total asking price don't seem bad depending on the condition of the gear.
If you know the person that owns the gear then you should be able to figure out if it's been abused. Good luck and you common sense.
Fred

Well, if you bought a new BP with a harness here in the US, it would be about $130. A manifold like that, maybe $100. Two tanks at $140. Overall, I'd say it's a buy and just replace the parts you don't want or need.

Back
Top Bottom