Used drysuits - good buy or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTank is a good shop. If they say it's in good condition, I believe them.

I bought a very similar USIA suit used from a guy here on ScubaBoard. Super cheap, no frills whatsoever, but I'm diving dry and I could afford it. I'll sell it in a year or so for close to what I paid, and upgrade. Excellent way to get into diving dry, without the IMMENSE cost.

...and the DUI suits may be better.

Although they won't be new suits with a warranty.

Decisions are never easy. :wink:

Depending on your knowledge and service accessibility.

I have seen some divers who got a good deal on the used one. You need to study and narrow down your choice. And be patient to get a right one. Time will come....:wink:

Thanks for all the responses everyone... still not sure i'm quite ready to make the jump to dry yet, i may try to stockpile some funds and wait till next year to make a purchase.

DawgDiver:
Thanks for all the responses everyone... still not sure i'm quite ready to make the jump to dry yet, i may try to stockpile some funds and wait till next year to make a purchase.
Initialy I had an short experience with a 7mm too-big-for-me drysuit and I hate them, I imagine that all where like that, feeling like a Michellin guy in a straitjacket. This was during my trainning, then I moved to slighty warmer water.

A year later I spent 6 months working in Chile where I could dive every weekend but dealing with less than 9°C water with a rental 7mm jumpsuit + 3mm Vest. Then I come across a quite used (and old) Whites military bilam suit that fit me perfectly, the price was ridiculous (US$ 175) and I tried that very morning... No leaks, zipper in perfect order... and NO COLD! I was hooked.

With a BiLam you do not need so much lead and they are more confortable.

My advice... If you are cheap like me buy a used one, just make sure the zipper and valves are OK and that it not leak (at least too much). Be aware that the neck and wrist seals can leak but are very cheap to replace and can do it yourserf.

/Matias

OK, I looked at the link in the first post...

Some things to consider. Bi-Laminate fabric suits will break down sooner than Tri-Laminate fabric, so you should consider this to be the entry level suit they state that it is. Your long term resale value will suffer accordingly. But heck, the suit is reasonably priced to begin with.

On any used suit the seals may have been trimmed more than you would like them to be trimmed. This may mean that you will need to replace the seals immediately. Perfect seals with no cracking, tearing, or other signs of misuse will still need to be replaced if they are too loose to seal around your wrists and neck.

As others have said the underwear is more important to the thermal protection value of a dry suit than the suit itself (Bi-Laminate or Tri-Laminate suits) assuming that the suit in question does not leak. Do not cheap out on the underwear, and you need to consider it in the initial price you will need to pay for the suit before you ever get in the water with it. Your profile indicates that you are in Georgia, so we are probably not talking about ice diving, but cold water can be found close to your home. Heck, I am in Ft. Lauderdale right now and I thought about breaking out the dry suit for the water here.

In my opinion fit is the single most important thing you should consider when getting a dry suit! An expensive suit that fits will serve you better than a cheap suit that does not fit. Choose wisley.

Be patient, my quest for a good used dry suit took several months, and was not without problems.

Mark Vlahos

I could not face another winter without diving so recently decided to go dry. Ended up getting the Dacor from Scubatoys. After I ordered, I got a mail saying that since the only unit available was a slightly used rental, they would discount further. Normally I dont go for bait and switches but Larry has been a straight shooter with all my gear purchases so I bit. After my first 8 dives with it, I am very happy. The unit is very basic with only suspenders, integrated boots, and a single auto-only dump on the shoulder but does the trick. My wifes Apollo is luxurious in comparison but yesterday when exiting the shore at Ita with freezing winds howling around, I was toasty. The guys next to me in sopping wet 7mms did not look happy.

So far I have done ALL of my dives in the suit you are looking at. I am still renting from my local shop. I have been very happy with it. It is however very basic. If you are looking to dive year round cheaply it is prob. a great way to go.

Flatliner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom