Usefulness of a Diving Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't really care about release valves or sapphire bezel, I buy things that I can use without feeling bad about them getting scratched, lost or whatnot... To impress chicks when on holiday I can rent a nice car and have fun with it :wink:

Casio G-Shock. Cheap, works good, will go deeper than you will.
And you can spend the hundreds you save on some hot chick. I promise, she'll dig THAT more.

M1 Professional SE| Momentum® | St. Moritz Watch Corporation

Great watch. Paid ~ $120. It never leaves my wrist, and it provides backup. I don't know where the idea that it is just as cheap to buy a second computer comes from. If you prefer a second computer,great, but the cost justification is bogus.

I wear 2 computers, and they are backed up by a good quality tool diver type watch and air-deco tables printed on a sheet of kimtec paper.
Batteries are prone to fail so it makes sense in the long run.

I don't feel bad about scratching up a $3000 dive watch.

You can't bring the car inside the bar to show off to the chicks.

So, you like to go into bars and show off your watch with the hopes of having sex? :wink:

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 07:22 AM ----------

What's the point of a diving watch besides you being easily recognized as a diver?
The nice ones cost almost as much as a simple diving computer...

Actually the really nice ones cost a lot more....

I like the simplicity and size of a dive watch as opposed to a back up computer. I just set the bezel and there's my dive time, I don't dive solo at any significant depth so I'm not too concerned about back-up depth info, my buddy's computer is my back up for depth. I always have a good idea of my NDL/N2 loading info due to the profiles I plan and use, so I'm not too concerned about having back ups for that information either. I also think it's convenient to have a waterproof watch just for general life use. It's excellent for hiking/mountaineering too.

Of course you could spend $50 or $5000 very easily on a dive watch, and there's a huge status market involved, which always makes prices go beserk. I have a simple quartz seiko that I've had for 10 years of daily use and it's still working great. Try that with a dive computer!

So, you like to go into bars and show off your watch with the hopes of having sex? :wink:

First I gotta get them liquored up then came the dive watch and the lies.

Of course you could spend $50 or $5000 very easily on a dive watch, and there's a huge status market involved, which always makes prices go beserk. I have a simple quartz seiko that I've had for 10 years of daily use and it's still working great. Try that with a dive computer!

An IWC Aquatimer with the mechanical depth gauge will set you back around $12K.

Or you could go Jaeger-LeCoultre and spend $40k+ EASILLY..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom