User replaceable battery vs rechargeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a somewhat distortion of a real life situation. A Perdix can run 60 hours, 60 dive hours, on a single Lithium AA. That means you can theoretically dive a Perdix on a 3 week liveaboard without having to replace the battery. have one extra battery as a spare, and you're pretty much running your Perdix indefinitely for all practical purposes.

A solar power bank needs to have access to the sun to charge, and the Teric needs to be charged every 2-3 days. In overcast weather, the amount of charge you can get from a solar power bank is limited, and it requires you to leave it out in the sun. It won't recharge at night or while it's in a pocket, or in a bag. On a liveaboard you're only allowed to charge your computer while under supervision. You're not allowed to leave it charging in your cabin while you're lounging out on the deck.

Humm, my Ratio iX3M lasts for more than 50 dive hours with it's rechargeable batteries.

Battery shcmattery.

Form factor of the chosen computer demands such. Want a watch? It's a permanent rechargeable. Want an oversized screen? Now there's room for a replaceable battery.

But even with a larger computer, I'd want the option to use rechargeable batteries.

Garmin rechargeable, shearwater replaceable.

Lets play scubaboard hypothetical;

a power bank holds a lot of recharges on a Teric and the one I used had a built in QI charger.

now let talk SB H (scubaboard hypothetical)

what do you think of the SiTeck O-rust neck seal system?

my guess, oh no to many little clips the chance of losing one on a rocking boat is high.

but…
many of those same worrywarts can’t even imagine dropping the perdix battery cap and having it go over the side.

stuff can go whong with any system.

Lets play scubaboard hypothetical;

a power bank holds a lot of recharges on a Teric and the one I used had a built in QI charger.

now let talk SB H (scubaboard hypothetical)

what do you think of the SiTeck O-rust neck seal system?

my guess, oh no to many little clips the chance of losing one on a rocking boat is high.

but…
many of those same worrywarts can’t even imagine dropping the perdix battery cap and having it go over the side.

stuff can go whong with any system.
The cap is like $15 just carry a back up. I don’t think using the teric power bank for an example is good, probably best to choose a different brand.

The cap is like $15 just carry a back up. I don’t think using the teric power bank for an example is good, probably best to choose a different brand.
How much back up crap do you want to carry? Don't forget your clone with she spare kidney.

I think a dive computer should function without problems for 20 years. I remember first multi gas dc coming out to the market 20 years ago, since than, there are not much of technological advances except displays and some "nice to have" but not mandatory features. It is very difficult to meet 20 years requirement with a rechargeable and not user replaceable lithium battery. If you feel 10 years usage is adequate, a rechargeable should be fine.

How much back up crap do you want to carry? Don't forget your clone with she spare kidney.
1 battery for transmitter , 1 battery for computer, SPG. Some cap/orings/lube. Not very much at all.

1 battery for transmitter , 1 battery for computer, SPG. Some cap/orings/lube. Not very much at all.
I hope I didn’t come across as too snarky. The idea spending $15 on a tiny cap, that I would be unlikely to open on dive boat is a little surprising. I used to keep a spare battery in my save a dive kit for my computer. The one time I needed it on a dive trip, it went dead the next day. Since then, I either have a back up computer or a fresh battery already in the computer.

Back
Top Bottom