using a pony bottle to extend bottom times?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both the Peace and the Spectre will allow doubles on their open boat trips, but not all private trips will allow them depending on the charter masters policy.
And when diving doubles on open boats they tell people with doubles to be respectful of time and keep the dive to an hour or less.

That's generally the policy on the charter boats I frequent ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What if someone shows up with a very small set of doubles, like maybe 3 liters, with a scrubber canister in between?

I won't speak for Frank, but I'm guessing not many folks show up for a liveaboard with their own tanks. Might be different for a boat like Spree leaving from mainland US with a loyal local-ish following. (Though are the Keys "really" mainland?)

I won't speak for Frank, but I'm guessing not many folks show up for a liveaboard with their own tanks. Might be different for a boat like Spree leaving from mainland US with a loyal local-ish following. (Though are the Keys "really" mainland?)

You'd be surprised. Tonight's trip will depart with all steel 120s. They all brought their own.

Both the Peace and the Spectre will allow doubles on their open boat trips, but not all private trips will allow them depending on the charter masters policy.
And when diving doubles on open boats they tell people with doubles to be respectful of time and keep the dive to an hour or less.

Here in NJ most boats don't limit bottom time... doubles, rebreathers, whatever. If the weather is looking iffy and/or there's only 1-2 rebreather guys we might raise an eyebrow if someone tells us they're planning a three-hour second dive.

Me: "Runtime?"
He: "Put me down for 180."
Me: "Ok, 80 it is."
He: "No, no... 180."
Me: "Right... 80 min."
He: "No, no... One Eight Zero."
Me: "Ok... if you think you can make it back to the dock in 180 minutes."

They catch on eventually.

:D

I'm not concerned with extended bottom times diving doubles. That's just a dick thing to do to other divers on a schedule. I'm really just looking for a way that I can dive recreationally while still diving a standardized rig in terms of gear and redundancy.

I certainly appreciate the redundancy (and extra gas) of a 120 and a pony, but a set of small doubles is easier to manage and not dealing with a separate bottle appeals to me more than slinging another tank when I'm not purposely carry stage/deco bottles. Since carrying the pony would be in an emergency only, I'd be carrying extra gear that realistically I should never use. The mini doubles would simply be a logical gear choice, as opposed to trying to sneak extra bottom time/etc.

Theoretically, it's the same lowest common denominator as the guys diving a single Al80, just in a better system. But I certainly respect the right of a captain to run his boat the way he wants, and I can see how it's much easier to have a blanket restriction on doubles than to try and piecemeal approve certain people or certain systems. I understand the headache that it could cause.

There are a lot of us in the PNW who dive doubles on charters, because a) we have them, and b) it saves swapping out tanks on a pitching boat. We dive recreational profiles and respect boat dive times. Doubles do not mean technical diving!

BAWAHAAAA!!!!
That is a good one
Eric

Here in NJ most boats don't limit bottom time... doubles, rebreathers, whatever. If the weather is looking iffy and/or there's only 1-2 rebreather guys we might raise an eyebrow if someone tells us they're planning a three-hour second dive.

Funny but it does leave room for misunderstanding. I hear rather poorly so when you said "OK, bla bla bla" I might have just said "Thanks".

Funny but it does leave room for misunderstanding. I hear rather poorly so when you said "OK, bla bla bla" I might have just said "Thanks".

Ultimately I'm pretty clear about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom