Using a reel in open water environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOB0.01J

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Divers.

I am recently trying to explore a popular dive site that I have never dove before. I am not cave diving certified, but I do have some knowledge. I do know that cave divers use spools or reels to guide their way in or out, why can't we use this idea to explore a normal open water dive site? I am thinking I can tight the reel off to one end and go whatever direction to get familiar with the dive site before I have to worry about navigation in a new dive site. I can also reel myself back in and start off a new direction if I wanted to, it is such an easy way to familiarize a dive site.

What are your thoughts? :)

Reels are used in this manner for wreck diving all of the time, especially for broken up wrecks in poor visibility makes finding the anchor line exit point at the end of the dive more difficult.

But it's not just a matter of tying it to something and swimming off. You should learn the proper way of laying down line securely so that it doesn't become an entanglement hazard, etc...

Depends on the dive site. String needs to be kept tight otherwise it will entangle.

Spools work well but are shorter. Reels are nicer as they are less prone to tangling (spools have a natural twist in them as you reel out, but wind with one twist per turn).

Bigger reels are easier to use than smaller ones as there's fewer turns per metre/3ft.

When going back you don't pull yourself along but fin and wind, keeping the line straight.

A line is most useful when you've "fallen off the wreck/reef" in lousy vis. Tie it to a lump go out for 20m/yds and then go round in a circle to find the wreck/reef. If not found, reel out another 20m/yds and do a bigger circuit.

It's good to use a line like that on wreck dives in lousy visibility. Especially for "must return to shotline" (anchor line) dives if you don't have a strobe.

In many environments, just tying off the reel and exploring can cause extensive damage as the line runs into things. Cave and wreck explorers learn how to secure the line along the way so that doesn't happen (and for other reasons).

Running line is one thing--reeling it back in is another. It is very easy to jam the reel and create a serious mess, especially if you did not secure it tightly along the way. If you are running low on air in such a situation, you may need to make the tough economic decision to leave the reel behind. A few years ago, some untrained divers on the wreck of the Spiegel Grove had that happen, and they apparently did not make the decision to leave the snarled line behind in time to make it out.

If you are diving with a buddy have the buddy swim ahead of you and remove the line from each secured point keeping the line taut while you continuously reel it in while swimming back. This will help prevent reel tangles. It's not hard but takes practice.

I prefer to focus on navigation in open water diving to find my way, conditions permiting.
Yes, a reel can be used as you say and others have already said, there is a method involved.
I use a reel in all OW ocean dives. Either for toting a buoy, or to send a dmsb.
I have used a reel as you suggested on an OW dive to make sure I returned to the exact spot I started on a dive. Currents, vis, surge, and baron sand made it near impossible navigate back to within a couple of meters. Wrapping the line on 'garbage' periodically I made my way out and back.

Reels are used in this manner for wreck diving all of the time, especially for broken up wrecks in poor visibility makes finding the anchor line exit point at the end of the dive more difficult.

But it's not just a matter of tying it to something and swimming off. You should learn the proper way of laying down line securely so that it doesn't become an entanglement hazard, etc...
Entanglement hazard and line being not tight enough due to the currents concerns me the most. I have been practicing laying lines during an OW dive, so far very effective in terms of navigation wise !

When going back you don't pull yourself along but fin and wind, keeping the line straight.
I guess reeling myself in with minor kicking is the most effective? because the speed of reeling in can't keep up with speed of kicking, that make sense

Entanglement hazard and line being not tight enough due to the currents concerns me the most. I have been practicing laying lines during an OW dive, so far very effective in terms of navigation wise !

Remember this: Line is evil.

:)

I guess reeling myself in with minor kicking is the most effective? because the speed of reeling in can't keep up with speed of kicking, that make sense
Would suggest that the diver controls the reel, being able to fin at the required speed, whilst not kicking up silt, turning and stopping using fins alone.

As others have said, string needs to be kept in control and occasionally tied off to keep it in place. When laid you follow it by looking at it, not touching it.

Back
Top Bottom