Using a reel in open water environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Disclaimer: I'm not an expert or technical diver) Reels have a variety of uses, and a few drawbacks in some contexts. You absolutely can use reels, but should do so safely, and when appropriate.

The main drawbacks and challenges are:
  • Entanglement hazard! A reel is very easy to become entangled in, especially if you're a relatively new diver. Definitely carry 2x cutting-devices when messing with line.
  • Environment: There's the possibility of damaging some environments, or if the line is left-behind, creating an entanglement-hazard for other divers, or "pollution/trash"
  • Complexity: If using a reel is providing no benefit, and you're doing it "just because", it's kinda pointless.
  • Not knowing what you're doing: There are ways to properly secure/tie line, avoid entanglements, stow line, etc.
  • False sense of confidence: Thinking you are able to navigate wrecks or caves untrained, because you have a reel.
That said there are non-tech-diving various uses of a reel:
  • Shooting a DSMB
  • Navigation, Marking, and Running search-patterns.
  • Random things, like temporary fixes, marking items, carrying a small object to the surface.
  • Deliberate practice for future tech-diving courses.
A relevant course is probably your best bet. That aside, there are a bunch of good instructional videos on reel-usage, and you could always practice skills in an area with no current, good visibility, and about 15-20ft of depth if you feel safe and confident in doing so. Many of these skills you could probably even practice on the surface too.

While not line-specific, I like to wear a scuba-mask and gloves when surface-practicing skills, because otherwise it often doesn't translate underwater.

What are your thoughts? :)
I have a couple of concerns/cautions. Some have already been mentioned. One that has not been mentioned already pertains to a lost or broken line: If you are depending on the line to guide you back, and you lose the line (drop the reel or break the line, etc.) or become entangled in it (already mentioned), then what will you (and your buddy) do? Cave divers and wreck divers learn protocols for dealing with these situations.

My personal recommendation is that new/inexperienced/less experienced divers should keep their (recreational) scuba as simple as possible, and rely on their (buddy-diving) training.

rx7diver

Excellent YouTube Video: Scuba Diving Skills - Reel and Guideline Use
1654750983531.png

Have done this when mapping new sites (artificial man made sites). Just follow the precautions everyone has noted. Ideally practice in a pool or very shallow water so you can get used to using line in the water

Remember this: Line is evil.

:)
Abso-frickin-lutely. My buddy was pulling a "diver below" float on a shore dive with lots of surge and within seconds a "harmless" bit of slack became entangled on my gear; we were close to cutting the line before he managed to disentangle it. And more than one new diver has been pulled to the surface tangled in their DSMB line.

Slack line is definitely evil - stay clear of slack!

I’ve seen more than a few divers getting back onboard a New Jersey boat with a spaghetti reel. Reeling it back in just seems so simple…

if your reel turns into a spinning ball of entanglement and death you can always just throw it in your catch bag. don't ask me how i know this
Some Jersey wreck divers come back with a lot less line than they started with. Don’t ask me how I know this either.

• Funny
Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom