Using a reel in open water environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, I'm getting confused. Are we talking about exiting with a normal, well placed line during some sort of diving emergency? Dealing with a snarled line? Or two simultaneous problems?

If there is some sort of emergency, yes, then make a safe ascent as quickly as possible, leaving the line an reel where it is (if collecting it is going to slow you down). If it's just snarled and you can't free the reel from the line, then cut the reel off, tie the line to the reel handle or something (don't bother trying to make a proper end loop), clip it off and go.

If you are running low on air in such a situation, you may need to make the tough economic decision to leave the reel behind.

Replying to this ^^

Cutting the reel may but add much time, but you still need to tie a new loop on the end of the line so you can then stow it properly without it unraveling. Financial concerns aren’t important in a real emergency.

I interpret @boulderjohn comment that it isn't to that level of emergency yet. And IMO running low on air is rarely an emergency in the OW environment because the surface is always an option in most cases. Yes the swim of shame to the boat sucks, but if you hit min gas straight to the surface.

That being said I feel that having the option of just cutting it off, would mean people are more likely to do it before it becomes an pressing enough that you are considering leaving it. Particularly with people buying the fancy $200 reels these days.

Yes the swim of shame to the boat sucks, but if you hit min gas straight to the surface.

Sure. CESA is a thing.

Just remember that not everyone finishes the “swim of shame”

Sure. CESA is a thing.

Just remember that not everyone finishes the “swim of shame”

I'm not sure how ascending at min gas becomes a CESA.

True, but I'm not sure that chancing that you have enough gas to make the downline is worth it, but that is just me.

I interpret @boulderjohn comment that it isn't to that level of emergency yet. And IMO running low on air is rarely an emergency in the OW environment because the surface is always an option in most cases. Yes the swim of shame to the boat sucks, but if you hit min gas straight to the surface.

That being said I feel that having the option of just cutting it off, would mean people are more likely to do it before it becomes an pressing enough that you are considering leaving it. Particularly with people buying the fancy $200 reels these days.
I may be drifting off-topic, but using a $200 reel in open water, but then running out of air and needing CESA. It's almost funny, but you know some diver out there is a gear-head but neglectful of skills, and has probably done that.

Just saying if this happens to anyone, maybe sell the reel and get a therapist. Oh, and maybe get some redundant air as well (bottle and regs).

I'm not sure how ascending at min gas becomes a CESA.

True, but I'm not sure that chancing that you have enough gas to make the downline is worth it, but that is just me.

Getting pretty far afield from the OP, but that's a scubaboard tradition!

Since we aren't talking about cave diving, I guess you are postulating diving thirds, where one third is the minimum gas needed to return to the ascent line and make a safe ascent. So yes, obviously any alternative to drowning is a better choice.

I just didn't want you minimizing the risk of surfacing away from the dive boat by calling it a "swim of shame", which sort of implies that the big downside is the hit to the diver's ego.

Dive boat captains and wreck divers in our area all know how potentially dangerous it is to surface away from the wreck. Especially if there is fog, heavy seas or - most common and dangerous - current. I know that you know this, but for other new divers reading this thread, it's a big problem for a dive boat to run after a diver drifting away on the surface if they are tied in with divers on the line, especially if they are in deco.

So IF you were sure that you didn't have enough gas to make it back to the anchor line and do a safe ascent, or IF you are lost on the wreck with no idea where the anchor line is, PLEASE don't do a free ascent, especially if there is current.

This is a situation where the reel can be very helpful. Shooting an SMB, tying the line to the wreck and then ascending on that line is far preferable, since you won't drift off the wreck, and the crew will be able to see you. If you want to get fancy, and if you have enough line, you can shoot your bag, then loop your line around some fixed (hopefully fairly smooth) point on the wreck, and then run out your reel as you ascent. That way, you can cut or untie your bag on the surface and then take your line home with you, instead of leaving it on the wreck as an entanglement hazard for other divers.

I may be drifting off-topic, but using a $200 reel in open water, but then running out of air and needing CESA. It's almost funny, but you know some diver out there is a gear-head but neglectful of skills, and has probably done that.

Just saying if this happens to anyone, maybe sell the reel and get a therapist. Oh, and maybe get some redundant air as well (bottle and regs).

Most decent primary reels seem to cost this nowadays. Sh!t happens, point is don’t be afraid to dump the reel in an emergency. You can always come back for it or buy another one.

I have used a reel many times for open ocean diving.
One place we used line was on an offshore reef about a mile offshore and nothing but deep water surrounding the ridge. Losing the anchor line would have been catastrophic if there was any current to sweep us off the sea mount. So we would go down the anchor line, make sure the anchor was dropped in good spot and secure, then clip off a reel to it and start pulling line as we explored. Took us right back to the anchor line every time just like magic. Laying out and winding up line takes practice. I used to practice a lot on shore dives pulling line out and going back in making sure of no birds nests, securing it around rocks so it doesn’t float away, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom