using Blacktip firmware in Sierra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you get it from? I'm using one of @Jona Silverstein in my Sierra and it's great.
I just bought the Flipsky 6.7, which is the same one as in the blacktip. I thought it would be an interesting project, but my ability to troubleshoot is limited by my lack of coding skills and EE knowledge. I may just order a Smart-dpv.

I think we tried that, but I'll give it a double check today. We went out in the water again yesterday for some testing, and still issues persist. Running in slower speeds seems fine, but higher speeds it seems to cut out and stutter. At a mid range gear it was going OK, then would start to slow, then speed up again. I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad VESC.
Hi @nwbrewer ,
1. What's your current firmware version? G 0.4?
2. If cut off only happens when high speed like 7 or 8, it might meet tempture is higher 85c, it will auto cut out or stutter to let your V6.7 MOSFET cold down.

Thanks Aryeh, It only happens when it's under load, so I don't think there is any way to log it while using the scooter in the water. After messing with it quite a bit, I think what's happening is that the motor was hitting the amperage cutoff. If I limit it to speed 7, it seems to be fine. There are some settings that cannot be changed as they are hard coded into the firmware for the BT mot
I m facing the same problem, have you see any speed different from the official motherboard when you are on speed 7?

I m facing the same problem, have you see any speed different from the official motherboard when you are on speed 7?
I think I have it working now, it just needs some tweaking to make sure that I got all of the settings optimized and I'm not overheating the motor at the max RPM I set. Make sure and set the battery ratio ($x) to 0 in the firmware since you're presumably not running with balance wire. I'll take some screen grabs of everything I did later this week when I have a chance. I'm still not sure where to set the max RPM, but per Magmotor the maximum amperage for the motor should be around 25 amps, so that's what I'm using on my high speed cutoff.

For others using the VESC tool, if you get faults like this, take your scooter back to the computer, open it up and connect to the computer before you disconnect from the power. You can then use the Terminal Faults tab to see what happened. This was really helpful for me when I somehow set the max battery amperage to 30 and it was cutting out every time the amp spiked a little....

Yep, the bat amp spike is a fun one to hit. The whole scooter stops for a second and resets.

The divex firmware 'adjusts' the battery current for each gear. Sometimes when I hook it up it will read 1a max. Set it significantly higher than what the top speed A draw is set at in the terminal window. Phase amps get set around 2x what battery amps is set at.

I think I have it working now, it just needs some tweaking to make sure that I got all of the settings optimized and I'm not overheating the motor at the max RPM I set. Make sure and set the battery ratio ($x) to 0 in the firmware since you're presumably not running with balance wire. I'll take some screen grabs of everything I did later this week when I have a chance. I'm still not sure where to set the max RPM, but per Magmotor the maximum amperage for the motor should be around 25 amps, so that's what I'm using on my high speed cutoff.

For others using the VESC tool, if you get faults like this, take your scooter back to the computer, open it up and connect to the computer before you disconnect from the power. You can then use the Terminal Faults tab to see what happened. This was really helpful for me when I somehow set the max battery amperage to 30 and it was cutting out every time the amp spiked a little....
Thanks I m looking forward, have you seen the settings at mcconf_60_sikorski.h for max rpm?

The rpm limits realy only effect free air speeds

Max rpm underwater areound 12-1500. x4 in vesc because theyre 4 pole motors

Thanks I m looking forward, have you seen the settings at mcconf_60_sikorski.h for max rpm?
That would be for the BT though right? Not the Sierra

The rpm limits realy only effect free air speeds

Max rpm underwater areound 12-1500. x4 in vesc because theyre 4 pole motors
Per magmotor the Sierra and Cuda are 8 pole motors? Or is it x4 because you only count the opposing poles? That sounds about right though with the max RPM in the FW being 4800rpm (1200x4)

I was under the impression that the "gears" in the FW were target RPM for each gear, and the amperage limits were there to cut off the motor if you exceed the amperage limit to reach the target RPM. Do I have that wrong?

Yep, the bat amp spike is a fun one to hit. The whole scooter stops for a second and resets.

The divex firmware 'adjusts' the battery current for each gear. Sometimes when I hook it up it will read 1a max. Set it significantly higher than what the top speed A draw is set at in the terminal window. Phase amps get set around 2x what battery amps is set at.
Yeah, that's what happened to me last week. No idea why, I could have sworn I set it higher when I wrote the FW to the VESC.

1716310732761.png

Max EPRM default is 15000
1716310775924.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom