Using Claritin-D (Sudafed) for decongestant W/O a cold - just to help equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7 year relationship with an ENT surgeon.... that was the best advice I ever got. It's meant many saved diving days as a professional tech instructor.

If you think it's fine, go for it. :wink:
Please, enlighten me. How did not blowing your nose save diving days for a professional tech instructor? I think that the millions of people that safely blow their nose each and everyday speaks for itself.

I don't have a "relationship" with an ENT but I have worked with and consulted a few over my 30 years in the medical field.

Last edited:
Please, enlighten me. How did not blowing your nose save diving days for a professional tech instructor?.

It's pretty straight-forward. As explained to me....

1. Blowing creates over-pressure.
2. Over-pressure pushes mucus from the sinuses.
3. Mucus pushed from the sinuses exits from the nose....
4. .... and some of it can be pushed into the Eustachian tubes.
5. Mucus in the Eustachian tubes can prevent equalization.

In contrast:

1. Snorting creates a suction (under-pressure) effect.
2. Suction effect pulls mucus out of sinuses AND Eustachian tubes.
3. Mucus is sucked into the throat.
4. No mucus goes into the Eustachian tubes (no suction to that area)
5. No/less mucus in the Eustachian tubes leads to less equalization problems.

At no time did I say it was "unsafe" to blow your nose. That would be stupid. I merely passed on some expert medical advice - which has worked for me over the years. That advice was about keeping mucus out of the Eustachian tubes when the sinuses are otherwise congested.... and thus, reducing potential for equalization problems.

It's pretty straight-forward. As explained to me....

1. Blowing creates over-pressure.
2. Over-pressure pushes mucus from the sinuses.
3. Mucus pushed from the sinuses exits from the nose....
4. .... and some of it can be pushed into the Eustachian tubes.
5. Mucus in the Eustachian tubes can prevent equalization.

In contrast:

1. Snorting creates a suction (under-pressure) effect.
2. Suction effect pulls mucus out of sinuses AND Eustachian tubes.
3. Mucus is sucked into the throat.
4. No mucus goes into the Eustachian tubes (no suction to that area)
5. No/less mucus in the Eustachian tubes leads to less equalization problems.

At no time did I say it was "unsafe" to blow your nose. That would be stupid. I merely passed on some expert medical advice - which has worked for me over the years. That advice was about keeping mucus out of the Eustachian tubes when the sinuses are otherwise congested.... and thus, reducing potential for equalization problems.
Interesting theory and I would be interested in seeing any supporting evidence or research. But there are a few things that may also be worth considering. The first is that the opening to the ET's are toward the back of the nasal passages in the nasopharynx. When blowing the nose the mucus will move forward and not even pass over this area. However, drawing the mucus into the pharynx through the nasopharynx will bring the mucus directly to the area of concern. Given your concerns, if any of the mucus does not clear but remains in the nasopharynx any subsequent swallowing or equalization will then provide direct access to and potentially block those same tubes.

Second, if you are blowing correctly, there should be no "overpressure" within the nasopharynx.

But I agree, there is alsolutely nothing wrong with snorting the congestion if that is your preference. Both maneuvers are effective. I admit to this technique at times myself. I just request swallowing rather then spitting. Personal pet peeve.

Last edited:
(non-professional divers, cover you ears)

I've been able to work under some pretty heavy congestion by being strict about not blowing. It seems to avoid squeeze issues in the ears. On rare occasions, it's only been frontal sinus congestion that remains problematic. On those occasions, some patience on descent tends to allow a resolution. My nose, cheek and orbital has been fractured several times - and as luck has it - this seems to have created a capacity to vent easily on ascent... and I don't suffer reverse blocks from the frontal sinsus (it whistles out...)

I use saline spray routinely, but try to avoid decongestants... except in extreme circumstances; to get courses completed where there's no flexibility to extend dates.

Relevant to the OP's question:
I'd still strongly advise non-professional divers to eschew diving with any congestion. I dive to earn a salary and put food on the table - and that involves more risk. My right inner ear was damaged from such practices 9 years ago... and is still problematic occasionally. 'Fun' divers really shouldn't risk physical injury for the sake of diving.

I use regular Claritin or Alavert when I am diving to keep my allergies under control. Instead of a decongestant, I use Flonase. This has worked well to keep my ears open so I can equalize properly.
I used to use 12-hour Claritin-D, especially when doing multiple dives from a boat, but haven't found it necessary since I started using Flonase.

Flonase is AWESOME. Takes about 5 days to really start working, but then it is great. It is not AFRIN, and will not create latent congestion. It is now over-the-counter too!!

I always take sudafed the night before diving. Insurance about reverse squeeze.

Flonase is AWESOME. Takes about 5 days to really start working, but then it is great. It is not AFRIN, and will not create latent congestion. It is now over-the-counter too!!

There are a lot of different people with a lot of different allergies. I use Flonase every day of the year, but it doesn't complete the job.

There's about 4 weeks out of the year in the spring when my allergies flare up. If I have to teach and a rinse doesn't relive the congestion, I will use Claritin.
I try to avoid decongestants if at all possible, most make me feel drowsy, even non-drowsy formulas. I prefer a saline rinse.

There's about 4 weeks out of the year in the spring when my allergies flare up. If I have to teach and a rinse doesn't relive the congestion, I will use Claritin.
I try to avoid decongestants if at all possible, most make me feel drowsy, even non-drowsy formulas. I prefer a saline rinse.

I don't think decongestants make you drowsy. Antihistamines might. The D stands for Psuedoephidrine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom