Using Claritin-D (Sudafed) for decongestant W/O a cold - just to help equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our morning ritual, especially on paid for vacation dives, is a Zyrtec, claritan, etc every dive morning with breakfast. Sudafed makes us sleepy so we don't take it. Then once we are on the boat headed out, a blast of Afrin up each nostril. The few times I have not done this on fresh water dives, I've had some trouble equalizing. Never had an issue in saltwater following this plan, neither has my wife.

There are those that argue that it could cause a reverse squeeze, or create other problems so proceed at your own risk. I just know it has worked for us since our first dive.

Good luck, safe travels!
Jay

As an aside.... DAN are also studying the impact of sudafed on increasing oxygen toxicity risk.

(non-professional divers, cover you ears)

I've been able to work under some pretty heavy congestion by being strict about not blowing. It seems to avoid squeeze issues in the ears. On rare occasions, it's only been frontal sinus congestion that remains problematic. On those occasions, some patience on descent tends to allow a resolution. My nose, cheek and orbital has been fractured several times - and as luck has it - this seems to have created a capacity to vent easily on ascent... and I don't suffer reverse blocks from the frontal sinsus (it whistles out...)

I use saline spray routinely, but try to avoid decongestants... except in extreme circumstances; to get courses completed where there's no flexibility to extend dates.

Relevant to the OP's question:
I'd still strongly advise non-professional divers to eschew diving with any congestion. I dive to earn a salary and put food on the table - and that involves more risk. My right inner ear was damaged from such practices 9 years ago... and is still problematic occasionally. 'Fun' divers really shouldn't risk physical injury for the sake of diving.

How do you equalize under water Andy?

Back
Top Bottom