Using power beaters isn't just for chefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people prefer to use hand powered mashers to conserve power. Others claim they're useless and only get in the way. Any opinions? :D

If you use a closed-circuit power beater, it may be necessary to stage additional backup beaters so that in the event of a main beater failure, a meal can still be safely completed...

Should my backup power beater should it be bungeed around my neck or clipped off somewhere in the triangle between my chin and ribcage?

Dave in PA:
I personally have power beaters made by Black and Decker. It has a 'Turbo' button and I think the same electric motor as my small drill. The longer than normal cord is permanantly attached by the manufacturer. It can be an entanglement hazard, but I just route the cord around the canisters and to the right of the mixing bowl since I am right handed. This leaves my left hand available to grip the bowl and rotate it. Positive control of the bowl is important, especially when you begin to beat the potatoes. IF you are going to use the beater for something else in the same meal, a back up set of blades should be ready to go where you can easily reach them with your left hand.

Dave,

Sorry my friend, BUT your wrong, when I took the AOW (Advanced Omlete Whipping) course they said that the best cord length is 4 feet. This gives you room in case of an emergency spill to be able to move the beater to a safe position without putting anyone else at RISK. I don't know who your certification agency was, but the one I went to PADI (Potato And Dairy Instructors) IS the foremost experts in the industry.

Are you TRYING to put someone in harms way ?

Let me clarify my techniques....

1) My power cord is precisely about 1 1/4 meters or so.
2) I only plug it into the GFCI outlet
3) I mostly cook solo, everybody else just silts up the place or adds too much milk to the potatoes
4) I have never bothered getting certified by some so called expert, I've been using beaters for years and learned early on to keep fingers out of the way.
5) I have many types of beaters for differant food preparations, you have to use the correct tool for the situation. for example:

a) scrambling two eggs: this could be for breakfast for one, or french toast for two, or a small omelet. You should use a small bowl, such as a cereal bowl and a hand held wisk. The effort to pull out a powered beater is not worth what you are making.
b) scrambling more than two eggs: this is when you are making breakfast for more than two people. Feel free to use either a hand cranked beater or a power beater, you must use a much larger bowl to prevent errant splashing, I prefer to still use a larger wisk though
c) pancake batter: if you are mixing a large batch, use a power beater on low speed only, you actually WANT some smaller lumps. You can also use a wisk or hand cranked mixer. REMEMBER: Pancake batter is like a dive master, it works better the LESS you beat it.
d) cake/brownies: a power beater is recommended for thoroughly mixing all ingrediants. You can get by with a non powered beater, but this is what separates the men from the boys.
e) cookies: This will be a two stage preparation; you can use a powered beater for the initial mixing of either all the dry ingrediants or all the wet ingrediants, you will need to switch to a spoon for the final mixing as the batter will be too thick for all but the industrial type mixers that sit on the counter
f) mashed potatoes: this is the creme-de-la-creme of powered beater dishes. you can add more milk to make it easier to mix, but then the potatoes will be thin and runny. IF you properly plan your cooking, you can cut the potatoes into smaller pieces prior to cooking, which will reduce the boiling time and make it easier to beat them after cooking. OR you can start out with a hand masher until the potatoes are sufficiently broken down for use of a powered mixer. remember to use milk and butter, but don't add too much, too soon to adjust the flavor and consistancy.

Hmmm, maybe I should write a class and submit it for a new C card....... and if you actually read all this, I'm sorry, you must be REALLY bored

Lil' Irish Temper:
Dave,

I don't know who your certification agency was, but the one I went to PADI (Potato And Dairy Instructors) IS the foremost experts in the industry.

Are you TRYING to put someone in harms way ?

So is anyone here a DM? (Dairy Master)

crpntr133:
So is anyone here a DM? (Dairy Master)

Nope not me, Maybe one of the SSI (Spud Sciences International) certified guys can answer the question of who is right or wrong here.

Black & Decker doesn't even make a model with the Turbo button anymore, to many people were getting hurt using that model. Dave, you are using outdated equipment.

Better yet, maybe a DIR (Dietary Intake Reference) guy can try to explain it better.

Dude, you don't need to buy something that expensive. Plain and simple is the way to go.
Not only is it way too expensive, you will be way overweighted.

Back
Top Bottom