Using Rain X on housing lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to use it to keep water drops off. Do you think one application will last a weeks worth of diving?

Haha thats a good one. I wanted to be able to keep the drops off shooting surface shots and post dive on the boat.

Yes it will . Look what it does for your car windows. I put it on my car 2-3 times a year. You should never have drops on your camers underwater. it can only be inside the houseing and that is a desicant issue and not a rain-x issue. And unless there is a specific cleaner for the glass if you put on rainx it serals the water spot to the glass till it wears off, so make sure the glass is clean before putting it on.

I want to use it to keep water drops off. Do you think one application will last a weeks worth of diving?

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 05:05 PM ----------

You can wipe your houseing portal glass on the surface. i recommend that you rince the housing good in cleasn fresh water first. The wapre spots are mineral deposites like salt ect.

Haha thats a good one. I wanted to be able to keep the drops off shooting surface shots and post dive on the boat.

Seems like the best option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah for that I wouldn't even bother with Rain-X, unless you have a bottle laying around at home. I use the good old "spit and dunk" method, just like a dive mask.

I tried the Rain-X. I can't really say it helped or hurt. I usually wipe the lens with my finger to get rid of droplets after surfacing. Even with the Rain-x my lens still gets droplets, of course the bottle in more than 10 years old, so I can't be sure it wasn't just expired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom