using redundant air (pony bottle) instead of octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a pony bottle is only for yourself.. then why would you need an octopus?

The simple answer is because the octopus is connected to a cylinder with much more capacity than the pony. In addition if you are sharing air with an OOA buddy, you only have one tank to manage as you ascend with the buddy (who has already demonstrated he is a moron).

The problem as I see it is a pony can mean anything from 3cu ft to 40 cu ft, back mounted or slung, with or without a readable SPG. It may be full, 1/2 full. Valve may be on or off. The diver may check it every dive & know it works, or he may just assume it should works cause it did 6 months ago. Is the size adequate for the diver at the depth? or how about the buddy who may have a much higher SAC. All of these needs to be reviewed before one ditches a 2nd stage in an effort to simplify his rig slightly. Its not a simple answer.

The simple answer is because the octopus is connected to a cylinder with much more capacity than the pony. In addition if you are sharing air with an OOA buddy, you only have one tank to manage as you ascend with the buddy (who has already demonstrated he is a moron).

The problem as I see it is a pony can mean anything from 3cu ft to 40 cu ft, back mounted or slung, with or without a readable SPG. It may be full, 1/2 full. Valve may be on or off. The diver may check it every dive & know it works, or he may just assume it should works cause it did 6 months ago. Is the size adequate for the diver at the depth? or how about the buddy who may have a much higher SAC. All of these needs to be reviewed before one ditches a 2nd stage in an effort to simplify his rig slightly. Its not a simple answer.

I dunno - a diver who needs to plan on the basis that he might not check if his pony has the valve on, or works or has been filled during a 6 month period probably has problems big enough that they won't be cured merely leaving the octo attached. I'd suggest they just give up diving in favour of, say, su doku or knitting.

I dunno - a diver who needs to plan on the basis that he might not check if his pony has the valve on, or works or has been filled during a 6 month period probably has problems big enough that they won't be cured merely leaving the octo attached. I'd suggest they just give up diving in favour of, say, su doku or knitting.

Yup, there are some divers out there that should take up knitting. The point it though it only takes one mistake out of many possibilities to nullify the redundant air source. Many of these possibilities can go undetected for some time unlike your primary tank. Maybe it has a slow leak and the diver failed to check the SPG before every dive of the day. No one notices, until you need access to his air for some other reason and the cumbersome octo would have come in real handy.

I guess most dive pros would tend to take the risk of a free flowing octo to have the flexibility to adept to the particular emergency case. Both systems have their benefits, but I guess that at dives in cold conditions one might think that the risk of a free flowing octo outweights it advantages (maybe right).
I had never ever had a real freeflowing regulator, but I dive in warm waters ( where water is warm also when you are really deep) and for here my choice is clear, never without my octo. Pony bottle of what ever size (depending on your dive profile) is a good thing.

I would use both, don't get ride of the OCTO. The main reason is what if you are diving with someone and they run out of air. Everyone is trained with an OCTO and most people have never used a pony bottle. They get panicked and becasue they dont see they OCTO and chances are they are going strait for your primairy. I say have both.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom