using US tanks in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All;

I am moving to Spain for 12 months and I was wondering if I will be able to use the tanks that I bought in the USA in Europe.

I have Luxfer, Catalina, Faber and XS Scuba.

Thanks for the feedback;

Maybe - if you get a Din adapter. Probly better to buy Din tank there, sell it when you leave, and not bother shipping yours there.

I think your Reg is a bigger question - how to adapt it to DIN. Try our Reg forum.
bananaskipper.gif

Thanks for the replay.

All my tanks are DIN and so are my regs. My concern is about the CE regulations.

It helps when you include that info in the original post.

Now if you can get a Mod to move this to the Tanks forum for better answers...?
bananawaves.gif

Icarusflies:
Hello All;

I am moving to Spain for 12 months and I was wondering if I will be able to use the tanks that I bought in the USA in Europe.

I have Luxfer, Catalina, Faber and XS Scuba.

Thanks for the feedback;

I doubt it, as we have different standards here. Same goes if I were to come over to US with tanks for European market. You could use them, but I don't think diving centers will be willing/allowed to fill them.

Perhaps you can hydro them and they will be then valid, but keep in mind we have 200/230 bar tanks & 300 bar tanks, whereas your HP are the ~230 bar equivalent. We have nothing similar to a LP tank, only under filled 'HP' tanks.

The whole DIN/Yoke thing is solvable.

But, add transportation fees, getting them inspected and approved (with uncertain outcome), from both time and money perspective doesn't seem worth the cost...

I could be wrong, it would be nice to get this info from somebody that actually did it/tried to do it.

Not to mention the metric air. :D

Quarrior:
OMG you're right. Didn't think of that!
bananazzzzzz.gif

Quarrior:

Hey, joke all you like, but it has been scientifically confirmed that metric air has a much better effect for your health then the imperial one. Hell, even has better side effects then nitrox! Not to mention it smells more nice. :wink:

evil_xander:
Hey, joke all you like, but it has been scientifically confirmed that metric air has a much better effect for your health then the imperial one. Hell, even has better side effects then nitrox! Not to mention it smells more nice. :wink:
The fun part I learned in Thailand last year is if you use the metric tables versus the imperial ones you get more bottom time at the same depth.

Had an instructor tell me that. I told him to prove it and he did. We compared tables.

Thanks for the info. So new tanks it is. I am glad I am getting used bleed money in this sport...:)

Back
Top Bottom