USN Tables vs computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading this thread I revisited some of the dive log profiles saved to the computer. While stepping through the depth vs. time graph it shows what my PDC would have shown at each moment. This really drove home to me how much a PDC adjusts to multi-level diving, as I could see the times for both NDL and air time remaining progressively increase as I ascended from the deepest point. I still plan with tables, and use the "120" sanity check, but it was nice to see I had plenty of NDL time left to look around at 40ft after scooting up from 90 ft. Of course I used the watch throughout the actual dive, but it was still interesting to review how it changed after the fact. (I was going to say "during the post-mortem analysis of the dive", but that would have been a really bad choice of words...)

I want to thank all who contributed their personal opinions, thoughts on the subject, and expansive experience concerning my post. I found all remarks interesting and frankly pretty much agree with most everything said and really was not surprised by what was said. I am not all that active in diving any more (only tropical vacations) and I see most of you have considerably much more experience and education in this sport. Much has changed since I became certified in the early 80's and I find it quite interesting how things have evolved over the years. I have always considered myself to be a conservative diver when it comes to NDL diving and will take into account the comments I have received and what I have learned thru this site.

Thanks again to all!

Bruce H.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom