USS San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brrrandi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need some advice for a dive trip I'm contemplating: USS San Diego off Long Island. I hear it's pretty cold and dry suits are recommended but I'd like to get more information. How cold? I'm planning to go September 14-15. I'm usually comfortable in my 7 mm with hood, gloves, boots, and socks down to 50 degrees F, especially as with the anticipated depth of 110' on no deco dives I'll likely be on the bottom only a short time. Does anyone have any advice on diving this wreck wet? or is it just a no-no :no:

Thanks in advance...

It's certainly possible to dive the wreck wet. I would guess the bottom temperature that time of year wouldn't be under 45, but that's just a guess. Have you done much diving off Long Island? Are you familiar with the conditions?

The San Diego is very long, upside down, and rises to 65 feet. You can do a fairly shallow, but not overly interesting dive all along the top area where it shouldn't be too cold. You can try going deeper and if you get cold, just stick to the top of the wreck.

Just dove the San Diego twice in the past two weeks. A few people were in wet suits, but most of us go dry. Water temp at 100ft was probably around 51 degrees. Tolerable for some but not for others.

Freakin awesome dive. You will enjoy it. A lot has changed on that wreck from all the sketches I see available online. If you look into the hull a lot of the decks have fallen in on themselves and all that's left is a giant void.

The wreck is huge and will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Thanks guys! 50 is about the limit for my wetsuit :cold: but I like the idea of going ahead and trying it and just coming above the thermocline if I get too cold. Here's hoping my buddy won't be annoyed with that approach. The cost of renting a drysuit would put the trip out of my reach though, I fear.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

I think this site is down right now; can't get it to load. :(

Need some advice for a dive trip I'm contemplating: USS San Diego off Long Island. I hear it's pretty cold and dry suits are recommended but I'd like to get more information. How cold? I'm planning to go September 14-15. I'm usually comfortable in my 7 mm with hood, gloves, boots, and socks down to 50 degrees F, especially as with the anticipated depth of 110' on no deco dives I'll likely be on the bottom only a short time. Does anyone have any advice on diving this wreck wet? or is it just a no-no :no:

Thanks in advance...
At that depth your 7ml won't be doing much to keep you warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom