Utila activities for non-divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey all,

I need to find top-side activites for 2 or 3 days in Utila for a non-diver. They do snorkel, but it's not a "must-do." It has to be fun and unique, but hiking doesn't qualify for either so don't tell me to go stomping through the swamps with my lady :) Renting ATV's and riding them around the backside of the island on the beach, finding secluded beaches all to our own, and snorkeling our own private reef would qualify (can we even do that?).

I'm expecting her to join me on the dive boat each morning, so we need afternoon/early evening type things to do. Many thanks!

Here's a pretty complete list of options. I'm sure most can be booked direct if you're not staying there.
Mango Inn - Activities

If you're going between now and May, I'd suggest snorkeling with the Whale Sharks.

Duh... I'm staying there and totally missed that page. Thanks!

Another great source of information for activities on Utila is at the activities page for UtilaGuide.com (http://utilaguide.com/activities/)

Waters are great for kayaking, stand up paddleboarding, walk off shore snorkeling, etc. Also, some great inland and beach hikes, lots of exploring via motorcycle or atv or bicycle, spend a day at the Utila Cays, and we even have a float tank!

Oh, and yes on all the things the poster originally asked about "Renting ATV's and riding them around the backside of the island on the beach, finding secluded beaches all to our own, and snorkeling our own private reef". Atvs easily found in town, for "secluded" beaches, check out Pumpkin Hill, or take a kayak trip down to the Cays which includes 2 stops at turqoise water beaches on the South Shore, and there is the popular, though often un-crowded and even secluded Water Cay. You can also hire a water taxi for the day ($40-50 for the boat) to take you to there or to your own reef spot for snorkeling (can book at Sand, next to Bush's supermarket).

Utila is a small island, but if you get out and explore a bit, you will often find you are the only one around. Enjoy!

Last edited:
All of the above, plus if you're up for a bit of an more interesting adventure check out the mini-golf course! There's an underground cave, a fireman's pole to slide down, and the whole course was built by this backwoods man that probably hasn't been around normal society in 20+ years. It was a kick!

tripadvisor.com has some interesting posts on stuff to do. i also recommend kayak utila and stand up paddle board utila, andi the guide is a wealth of info on utila and she takes you off the beaten path

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom