Utila Bound -Shoutin' Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We'll be leaving for Utila a week from today and were wondering if anyone is down there now or has just returned. The last time we visited Utila it was February and a bit windy with no bugs.
Can anyone tell me how the weather has been the past week or so and also if there have been any whale shark sightings recently? We missed them last time, I think partly because we were a tad early and the wind was really kicking so the big boys were a no show.
Obviously we loved the trip anyway so we're heading back.
Hoping Cuda and LaCuda will see this post and throw us a preview of what it's like there now.
Thanks, it'll help us know which exposure suits to pack as well as clothing topside.

Hi Susan,

The weather for the last week has been hot with light winds. Most days we have been able to get north side. The whale sharks seem to be playing hide and seek at the moment, should be here any day now :). There where a few pilot whales last week, Utila always something to see. We are all diving 3mm suits now the water temp is around 27-28 degrees (mid 80's). Shorts and t-shirts are the go on land, with a bit of OFF late afternoons for the no see em's.

I hope you have a great trip

I see on Deep Blue's website that there were two sitings on 3/15/08. Not sure how often the sight updates. See you at the airport! I am confident that we will see some.

We'll be leaving for Utila a week from today and were wondering if anyone is down there now or has just returned. The last time we visited Utila it was February and a bit windy with no bugs.
Can anyone tell me how the weather has been the past week or so and also if there have been any whale shark sightings recently? We missed them last time, I think partly because we were a tad early and the wind was really kicking so the big boys were a no show.
Obviously we loved the trip anyway so we're heading back.
Hoping Cuda and LaCuda will see this post and throw us a preview of what it's like there now.
Thanks, it'll help us know which exposure suits to pack as well as clothing topside.
My wife and I are heading to Utila May 5th so please let us know all about your trip. Hope you have a wonderful trip and please tell the whale sharks to hang around till mid May.
Greg

PJP thank you for the info! Weather and water sound perfect! Rescue - lookoing forward to meeting you Saturday- and Tarheel, I will post a trip report upon return and will leave the whale sharks right where they are. Weight restrictions on the airlines and all......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom