Utila Dive Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Experience is that due to the huge number of backpackers that go to Utila, you are more likely to get a bar/waiter job in Roatan than Utila - there is less competition and due to the fact that there are many more cruise ships etc more demand in the service industry.

Second - do your open water then think about the rest of it.

Will

Steve,
You should see me in Jasmine's pink bathing suit.
Andy,
I'm only in Thailand to learn the walk. The surgical procedure will take place in Sweden.

Geoffrey,
As we seem to have nearly hijacked your thread let me get it back on track for all who come to see what advice you get.
First, as Okidoki said, you don't have anywhere nearly enough money to go from open water diver to OWSI (Instructor). With what you have, you can get to Utila, and get through the AOW (Advanced Open water )course.

But unless you are some kind of "Bizarro" Geoffrey Blackburn from an opposite universe you will have a difficult time finding both the work to pay for, and the time off needed to complete the DM (divemaster) portion of the course, which generally takes a month. And as Okidoki says, it takes a minimum of six months to meet your stated goals.

And Geoffrey, if you take Bay Islands Diver's advice and go to Roatan, you better
grow a goatee (like good Cartman in the Halloween Southpark) and tell all of your prospective employers that you are the "Bizarro" Geoffrey Blackburn from an opposite universe.
I hope this helps.
PS. Howdy all. I'm currently in "Bizarro" Utila. Spelled Ao Nang. Where the dive have ripping currents, nudibrachs aplenty and former students Bizarro Zab and Simon lead the dives.

texinutila:
Hi Geoffrey,
Welcome to Scubaboard. I'm not in Utila anymore, as my handle suggests, but I lived there for almost four years. Funnily enough I know a guy on Utila named Geoffrey Blackburn, who has some of the same goals you have. He's been there about two years and has managed to survive doing odd jobs like you describe. Whoda thunkit? You should look him up when you get there.
Good luck
When you get to Utila, be sure to observe the fishing regulations.
You all do realize "GDBlackburn" made that initial post Dec 2002...?

Damselfish:
You all do realize "GDBlackburn" made that initial post Dec 2002...?
:blush: I'd missed that - good eye. :thumb:

I guess he went to Utila, made it work, met Tex, and now we're trying to tell him not to go. :silly:

MMan, that's bizzaro!

Regards,

Cudabait:
MMan, that's bizzaro!

Regards,
Really - we're telling him not to go and he's been there for 2 years. :11:

Holy ****!!!

I just got back from Tranquila after 4 hours of drinking White Russians and thinking I was having a good time and realized the whole party has been here on Scubaboard?!!!!

There are 2 GB's, only on Utila!!!!

Laters,
Andy

There are 2 GB's, only on Utila!!!!
No, no, no - he posted plans to go 3 years ago, and we've been posting to that plan - not realizing that we were posting to a 3 year old post, and he's been there for about 2 years.

Do you know him...??

Damselfish!
You've repaired the rift in the space/time continuum! We're all saved!
Doncha just love a happy ending?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom