Utila divemaster training - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trainee,

In the same breathe that Cudabait is preferential to Deep Blue, who are a good dive shop, I'd also have to recommend Utila Dive Center, though I'm biased as I work for them!!! On a serious note I've worked in dive resorts worldwide, the Red Sea, Thailand, Caribbean, Africa, Costa Rica to name a few and I can't think of a center that places as much quality into it's training programs as we do at UDC. Probably that's why PADI awarded the coveted CDC rating to us and are one of the most recommended facilities on Utila, you can't beat word of mouth.

UDC have a great facility, training pool, several comfortable boats, technical facility and training services, well qualified staff who deliver personalized attention and training programs in small ratio classes.

It's hard to know the best place on Utila if you've very little experience with the others so why not take a look at our website for a feel of our operation www.utiladivecenter.com but most importantly feel free to stop by and talk to our staff and owners and see what we're like in person or PM me for more info on our training programs.

I was also starting my DM years back and would be more than happy to help you with any questions you have.

GoPro Honduras

I did my DM course back in 1996 with Utila Dive Centre, and went back in 1998 to do some DM work (generally unpaid) with the same school. Very nice people, good boats, the best boat captain on the island, Danny Cooper, experienced instructors (they had 6 at the time). I have browsed their web site since leaving Utila in 1999 and coming to Thailand. It seems UDC has got bigger and better, more boats, now doing IDC's and of course has the Mango Inn. There was always a good atmosphere created by the people there - friendly, fun and also professional.

GoPro - or anyone else on the board who lives in Utila - tell me - who are Deep Blue Divers? I don't recall the name from when I was there, but I see many people recommending them. I always thought it would be hard to set up a brand new shop there after about 1998, since the existing shops were so well established and competition fierce, but it seems they have done well...and their resort looks very fancy. And have any shops closed/disappeared since 1999?

Oh and by the way..I did my "Open Water to Divemaster" in 2 months, about 90 dives and I think I turned out OK, not just a tank carrier. It really depends on the training you get, and the instructors who I worked with there during and after the courses (like Jim, Ben, Diane, Camilla, Nico (bless his soul), Reiner, Jen and more) were all excellent, very helpful and I learned so much from them.

Best Wishes from Phuket
Jamie Monk
Manager Sunrise Divers

Jamie,

Good to hear you had a great time with UDC, your right the facility and standards have improved over the years but their biggest assett remains the same, an intangible one, and that is ourr staff, probably one of the longest serving groups of Instructors on Utila who take a strong passion and pride in their dive training, activies and community efforts.

Deep Blue opened up in 2001 as a PADI facility and took ove rthe license from 'Scuba Libre', and whilst a lot of people thought there were no room for any more dive schools on Utila they came in with a high standard of training and a good facility, hence rapidly becoming one of the top 4 schools on Utila.

There are still 11-12 dive facilites on Utila though the average number of Instructors per school has risen so have the numbe rof visitors to Utila since, 1998, as the infrastrcuture has become more sophisticated, the dive industry more maturer, now you can get helium based training on Utila, and the demographic of vistor to Utila wider. Also the Mayor, Alton, has done an amazing job on the island since taking office a few years ago and has really improved the local standards on the island and made it a cleaner place.

Glad you have great memories of the island.

GP

A great way to find answers is to see if they've already been asked and answered previously. That said, I would like to add the following- at the expense of wasted bandwidth, just for the record- on this particular thread.

After a goodly number of logged dives in various conditions (Don't fret your lost dive log, recreate it now to the best of your memory- on one sheet of paper- and attach it to the first page of your new log book), after you have gained real world dive experience, after you have gained the perspective and ability to watch a diver and know if he's going to be a problem, after you feel competent... then you may be ready to learn something.

Before showing up for a DM course, you should have pre-studied the books to such an extent that you could write the tests at 100% before arriving. Why read books "in paradise" while you could be interacting one on one with your teachers?

Get the books now. Read the books. Learn the tables (and that wheel thing) flawlessly. Get the Encyclopedia of Diving, as well. Every serious diver should, DM aspirant or not.

The DM written exam is the same as the OWSI. The only difference really is in your quality level of physical u/w and classroom demonstration and presentation skills.

Many that are truly serious about the matter get both certs one after the other, boom boom. Why learn it twice? The beauty of doing the job afterwards is that it all finally all sinks in, and hey- you can always look it up in the Manual.

Are you ready to pay the price, both emotionaly and financialy to do this "in Paradise"? Are you laboring under the notion that you can trade work for this course? Dream on. If you have enough money- this is undoubtedly the best place to do it. Otherwsie...

A competent, well experienced diver with good communication and excellent observational skills, one who has pre-studied the books can do both Rescue Diver and Dive Master in two weeks. It's a real tough schedule, but it is indeed possible.

I would, for most folks, suggest doing it at the cheapest (stateside?) location taking into account travel expenses, local accomodation costs, etc. The price of the course should be secondary to the quality. I paid full boat for my OWSI Course at ProDive in Ft.Lauderdale and never regretted it.

Weather & Sea conditions were a factor to me, I could afford the nicety of doing it far away from my igloo, so that was another plus.

If you have enough cash, if you manage your time on location wisely, by all means- do it in paradise.

Oh, by the way- if you figured Utila was a good place to spend time to do your DM because you could buy beer for $1 a bottle all night long, maybe reconsider the whole thing. This is serious stuff, an important, yet low paying job. People who have no clue will look to you to be their guardian.

Choose wisely, Grasshopper.

Hook up at Deep Blue. I was there for a week last month and they're first class................
If you're thinking of going to Instructor level Dave Noble has started as their Course Director. His email is noble_cd@rogers.com
Good luck and happy diving..........

Look at the boats and who hauls the cattle! Then go some place else! I heard one op mentioned here more than one time, I think you should ck it out! Good Luck.

Next time I'm at the sink and can't find the plug I'll know where to look!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom