Utila divemaster training - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoProHonduras:
Next time I'm at the sink and can't find the plug I'll know where to look!!!
18 divers on a old wooden fishing boat not built for diving, myself and many folks would consider that a cattle boat. Plus you have said you need to make room for all that want to go. Dude you just said CATTLE BOAT and the boat was not designed as a dive boat it was an after thought and a poor one!! Get real!

I finished my DM in Utila last summer. Do you know the phrase "if you haven't anything nice to say...."?

If you want a private reply, send me an email.
trainee:
Hi,

Anyone have a recommendation for a dive shop for divemaster training in Utila? Thanks

cahol:
I finished my DM in Utila last summer. Do you know the phrase "if you haven't anything nice to say...."?

If you want a private reply, send me an email.
Well one purpose of this board is to get honest information. I guess you have a problem with the honest part? As for nothing good to say, well they had some nice people working there, they have alot of buisness. But should a customer have to go and find the rinse bucket for the cameras and fill it up and put it on the boat??????? And do it several times during the week?? Should a customer have to spend 10 to 15 minutes in the morning to find -get-and use the nitrox analizer- ya I got my own after that trip. Should a customer have to have dinner with one of the owners to talk about a group trip to becoming a sounding board from a man from France who wanted to set me straight on "his" thoughts about American greed and how screwed up we Americans are-he should be speaking german! Ya you are right I have very very little good to say about that dive op. You got the best in the begining of this post. And a cattle boat is a cattle boat unless your dive group books the WHOLE boat then it is your fault but you know what you got before you board. Two posts from you! You must be a expert on dive travel and diving please help all of us poor fools who have only been diving and traveling for 30 plus years! Your new found expertise would be of great value here!

domino22:
Well one purpose of this board is to get honest information. I guess you have a problem with the honest part? As for nothing good to say, well they had some nice people working there, they have alot of buisness. But should a customer have to go and find the rinse bucket for the cameras and fill it up and put it on the boat??????? And do it several times during the week?? Should a customer have to spend 10 to 15 minutes in the morning to find -get-and use the nitrox analizer- ya I got my own after that trip. Should a customer have to have dinner with one of the owners to talk about a group trip to becoming a sounding board from a man from France who wanted to set me straight on "his" thoughts about American greed and how screwed up we Americans are-he should be speaking german! Ya you are right I have very very little good to say about that dive op. You got the best in the begining of this post. And a cattle boat is a cattle boat unless your dive group books the WHOLE boat then it is your fault but you know what you got before you board. Two posts from you! You must be a expert on dive travel and diving please help all of us poor fools who have only been diving and traveling for 30 plus years! Your new found expertise would be of great value here!

What´s that all about 2 posts!!!! Does somebody have to post a lot on this board to be an accomplished diver? Maybe this person only has 2 posts because they´re having more fun diving than ranting and raving about some negative experience they had and wish to embitter other divers with.

????? ??????

As this is a forum maybe you can share a positive experience when you do find the perfect dive op!

Andy

domino22:
Should a customer have to have dinner with one of the owners to talk about a group trip to becoming a sounding board from a man from France who wanted to set me straight on "his" thoughts about American greed and how screwed up we Americans are .........please help all of us poor fools who have only been diving and traveling for 30 plus years!

Had dinner with Ben, did you?

Diving and traveling for 30 years, eh? Wow, you must be an expert on life. I fully understand why you would not want to listen to someone with "only 2 posts". He must know nothing, eh? Better to listen to solo diver tex (it's in your profile). I'll stop there. Nothing against you, texas domino, but you're pi$$ing on the wrong lamp post.

The guy with "2 posts" may well be more of a widely travelled person than you (just is new to this forum), and also is polite. He is quite right..if you have nothing nice to say...

I think I posted in this thread before. I dived in Utila in 1996, did my DM with Utila Dive Center, went back in 1998 and did some DM work for them, did my IDC and then stayed another year, but couldn't work for UDC, as they had a staff of really experienced instructors, nice folks. I shared a house with Ben for a month before my IDC and will always fill the sink with plugs for Utila Dive Center!

It seems that Deep Blue are now very popular, but when you consider doing a divemaster course in Utila, remember you can walk from one end of town to another in 15 minutes, so it's easy to walk around and check the different dive centers for yourself. You may end up doing your DM course at another place not even mentioned here. An important factor is the people you meet there. It may take you a month or more to do your course, so take a day or two first to make your choice.

Happy Chinese New Year of the Rooster y'all.

I don't thing you could go wrong with any of the" big three" U.D.C. B.I.C.D. or Deep Blue.
I lived and worked on the island in 2001 and was back this past fall and the island mentality has certainly changed and these 3 facilities revelt that.
I thing it's as important in your D.M. class that you learn "real world" experience and not just a good "tank jockey" who happens to be competent enough to get through the course.
Being a divemaster or instructor in a resort area is hard work and often thankless!

.......is a good option. My 21 yearold daughter is there now working on her DM. She looked into most all of the options in Utila and felt that Gunter's Instructors were the most experianced. So far they have exceeded her expectations.

Good luck in your deliberations.

Dave

SterlingDiver:
.......is a good option. My 21 yearold daughter is there now working on her DM. She looked into most all of the options in Utila and felt that Gunter's Instructors were the most experianced. So far they have exceeded her expectations.

Good luck in your deliberations.

Dave

Dave,

You are absolutely correct. Ecomarine is a good option. It is true they have a good manager and a stable of some of the longer employed instructors on Utila. I only say things on this board that I have personal experience with and about. I EVEN GET MY ***** CHEWED OUT IN PMs by others that tell me I am biased. I'm not biased.....I just do not say anything about anything 1, if I don't like it, and, 2, if I don't know anything about them. And yes, your daughter is doing well.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Dave,

You are absolutely correct. Ecomarine is a good option. It is true they have a good manager and a stable of some of the longer employed instructors on Utila. I only say things on this board that I have personal experience with and about. I EVEN GET MY ***** CHEWED OUT IN PMs by others that tell me I am biased. I'm not biased.....I just do not say anything about anything 1, if I don't like it, and, 2, if I don't know anything about them. And yes, your daughter is doing well.

Regards,

Biased or unbiased I have found your thoughts and opinions very helpful, others here could do well to pay attention to what you say.

Best Regards,

Dave

Well said Sunrise. I've only been to Utila once and I enjoyed it immensely. Our group stayed at Deep Blue and were treated like family so naturally my statements are going to be biased.
The Course Director at Deep Blue has taught me my D.M. course as well as my A.I. and staffed my I.D.C. Although he's now moved to Utila this will not prevent me from travelling from Canada to do my I.D.C. staff with him in June. This decision is also as a result of the Utilian hospitality I experienced.
I've only just started posting on Scuba Board but if the number of posts on Scuba Board is all someone would look at when considering my opinions I think, as Sunrise suggested, they would be a little short sighted.
Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom