Utila or Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey Guy and Gals,

Im looking to do my Divemaster Cert. 4-6 weeks, trying to decide Roatan or Utila. Looking for cheap accomodation, good certification, and good times.

I got Reef Gliders in Roatan and Utila Dive Center in, obviously, Utila. How do the operations compare? How does the diving compare?

And then the actual islands. Is it possible to find a room with shared kitchen in Roatan for US$200 a month? same for Utila?

i dont care about price for DM Cert, its more about the mood of the island itself, as well as the ladies and chill times.

Ill probably be looking for a job as a server or bartender. More realistic and fun in Roatan, or Utila? The overall question where will i have the most fun, after diving?

Pain in the *** questions, but been hard to find the answers.... Would truly appreciate some of this info. If ever in Patagonia, be sure to look me up, get you on a raft trip to pay you back.

I think you need some impartial advice...The west end is a nice place to spend some time, its not backpackerish, just dive bums and american day tourists, there is a decent dive scene there, nice dive babes. Its cheaper to eat and live in utila but you get it cheapish in the west end too. however utila is a nice place, night life seemed a bit limitied, but plenty of local chicitas to spice it up.
The diving in roatan is on a different level from utila. The Roatan west end is protected from N and W winds and is flat calm with crystal water and plenty of fish, it has some awesome diving. Diving in utila does not compare, it has nice coral on the S and E but low vis (due to magrove swamps) almost no fish and exposed seas. the diving in roatan is usually singe dive trips(first leaving at 9.00am) on the barrier reef 2mins away from shore, utila diving is usually 2 dive trips (first leaving at 8am) with 30 mins to an hour in a boat to try to get to a decent site...
the DM costs $600 at pura vida in roatans west end. same as utila.
if you want to get up early and be cold and wet for a couple of hours in quite rough seas then go to utila. if you want a more relaxed day then do the DM in west end...thats what I would do!
all the best

West End Roatan would be a perfect fit.

I kayaked in Patagonia and skiied in Baraloche and Las Lenas. Roatan and the Bay Islands I like even better. Less cold and more Oxygen.

Utila...

The diving is every bit as good and exciting as Roatan...without the turismo. Great place to do DM work. You can find service oriented work. In addition to UDC, check out Hans at Ecomarine/Gunters, Louis at Bay Islands College of Diving and Phil at Deep Blue Divers. They all have social activities related to their ops, which are good! Hans particularly has good contacts for very inexpensive lodging. Y andan chicas por todos lados!!

Regards,

Utila or Roatan - extraordinarily high VD rate in the Chica's, especially the honduras mainland girls coming over for the weekend parties. And also...keep your tongue in your mouth.

Never dove Roatan, but Utila is EXCELLENT diving

anthonys wrote:
"Diving in utila does not compare, it has nice coral on the S and E but low vis (due to magrove swamps) almost no fish and exposed seas."

The North side of the island is where all the excellent diving was. Tons of fish, sea turtles, and possibility of whale sharks.

"utila diving is usually 2 dive trips (first leaving at 8am) with 30 mins to an hour in a boat to try to get to a decent site..."

Fast boats (UDC) will get you to the North side of Utila in about 30 minutes

"if you want to get up early and be cold and wet for a couple of hours in quite rough seas then go to utila."
Depends on the weather. First couple of days was wet and cold (february), after that it was HOT HOT HOT.

I'd say Roatan, head to the West End, can't go wrong, it's the standard, during your day, dive and hang out at one of the dive shops then a few nights a week work in one of the many bars. There is a great social scene. Check out Coconut Tree Divers, they always have a good fun crowd, there.
Then there's the diving, the first dive boats leave at 9.00am in Roatan so you get a little longer in the morning to get ready, the dive sites are a lot closer and more varied. All of the diving is done in the Marine Park. i am sure whichever you choose you will have a great time.

Hello

I worked Utila a fair bit and I have to say if I went back to the Bay Islands I would go to Roatan for sure.West End is way cooler than Utila town,more bars,better food,beaches and chicks a plenty.

Utila is cool also but the diving in Roatan offers sooooo much more.Utila is known to pump out DM's and Instructors so your 2 chances of getting paid work there are bob and no.Northside diving on Utila is very nice but roatan has plenty more of the same kind of sites,way more fish due to protection from the authorities and they are very close with nice late starts.

Check Reef Gliders out for a nice relaxed time,Pura Vida also.

UDC vs Reef Gliders..........?????Factory VS Small buisness.Want attention,go Reef Gliders.Don't believe all the UDC hype.They spend alot of money marketing a way of life that has long since been replaced by the Dollar.

Check them both out for sure and make a choice on how good you feel in the place.Its all about the people.

Do a search within this forum. There are HUNDREDS of comments, reviews and posts. I trained at UDC and felt great about it.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom