Utila or Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it possible to do justice to both Utila & Roatan in a week? The resorts normally have weekly packages but some of them have shorter duration or even daily rates. If going in March-April, can one get so see lots whale sharks of Utila in about 10 dives over 3 days? Also, can the best sites of Roatan be dived in 3 full dive days?

full moon march/april/may is your best chance at that time of the year on utila, very rare to spot them around roatan

peternbiddle $125 roundtrip?

Oh god no - that's one-way.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2013 at 08:20 AM ----------

In that case, it will have to be Utila because of the Whale sharks. Roatan probably has better overall diving but am I right in thinking that in March-April Whale sharks are far more common in Utila and relatively rare in Roatan?

As has been already said - don't go thinking you are there to dive with Whale Sharks. Go for some incredible diving and hope you get to see Whale sharks.

" peternbiddle" $125 one way is not a special deal, alice hill at worldwide travel on utila can get you on a charter for $80 one way, angelo at island air usually charges $110 each way :D

" peternbiddle" $125 one way is not a special deal, alice hill at worldwide travel on utila can get you on a charter for $80 one way, angelo at island air usually charges $110 each way :D

I believe those are the rates for scheduled flights. We were an un-scheduled charter for just 2 people.

Unless you are saying that WW travel ($160/ea, that's how we got to Utila) and Angelo ($125/ea that's how we got off Utila) both significantly over-charged us for a true, off-schedule charter for 2 people. In which case I should probably call them and ask them both why you get quoted such lower rates.

but am I right in thinking that in March-April Whale sharks are far more common in Utila and relatively rare in Roatan?
I'd agree with that. No one on Roatan sells "Whale Shark packages" except those that run day trips over to Utila. We saw almost all off the north side of Utila.
lots of whale sharks off Utila in about 10 dives
IDK if it matters but it's snorkel only in Honduras. If you want to dive with them, go to Belize a month or two later. They feed at Gladden Spit after the full moon. Diving is from Placencia or one of the AI resorts. My friends went twice from there (expensive add-on trip above the cost of their dive pkg.) and dove with them on both. Several at the same time.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

OK, gotcha...and there was always the Steve thing to consider too.
Oh yeah...that's this Steve: [user]DeepBlueResort[/user]

Last edited:
gladden spit is just like being in utila as far as seeing whale sharks, in as much as its still a crap shoot.

i dove there several times during the snapper spawning in the 90's but still only saw a shark twice. the viz is terrible, there's so much spooge in the water its like diving in milk! unless one comes within 40' of you, you won't even know its there. plus unless you're staying on one of the southern atolls the boat ride to gladden spit can be long and rough. you can't just grab a boat and go like you used to be able to when i used to visit, now the dive operators have to apply for a time slot and with so many vying for slots most operations can only get one or two time slots a week.

i think because they feed at the surface in utila and the viz is 100'+, if they're around you actually have a better chance of finding them than at gladden spit.

realistically mexico in september is the only place thats virtually guaranteed and thus you'll be joined by as many as 150 other boats full of eco tourist snorkelers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom