Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see much buzz for this place on the board but I had a great time at the Mango Inn. I've not been to Coco on Roatan as I stayed in West Bay for the week.

The Mango Inn is lush, close to the beach, secure, clean and has a great restaurant/bar under a giant mango tree. The pool was awesome and the rooms are air conditioned and clean. Oh, most importantly for me was it was very cost effective.

There ya go, depends on what degree of comfort you can afford but I was very happy and will be returning ASAP.

Dave

Jan Dickinson:
I'm planning a dive trip to Utila in Jan 2006. I'm wondering if anyone has a recomendation on what resort to choose. I've been to Roatan and loved CoCo if that helps.

Jan,

It sounds as though you prefer resorts (inclusive meals, accommodations and diving) as opposed to buying these separately. In Utila it is easy to do both, in fact since Utila is more of an 18-30 year old back-packer destination, the majority of toursist visiting here tend to find their own accomodations, choose a Dive Operator and then eat out at different restaurants and bars.

There are 4-5 Resort Operators in Utila;
Deep Blue Resort, Laguna Beach Resort, Mango Inn, and Utila Lodge.
Coral View Beach Resort has recently started Scuba Diving operations and therefore would also qualify as a resort.

For more infomation on the above named resorts with links to their individual web sites, check out www.AboutUtila.com.

Jan,

Was in Utila, stayed at Deep Blue Resort. Excellent dive operation, clean rooms, great food. It's located on a spit out from the harbor so you take a boat to get there. Very few no see ums during our stay. There's a trip report on here somewhere from me.

Dennis

I stayed at Laguna Beach Resort. Great place. Only complaint was that the food was just good....nothing spectacular but good. Diving, service. accomodations, boats and beach were all excellent or better. The house reef is great, turtles and toadfish on most dives. We did 3 boat dives daily and a drop off dive on the house reef. Never carried any gear. They'd meet you on the beach after the drop off dive and haul you and your gear back. Both ways if you want to do a shore dive. A dive flag was provied for shore diving. Great place!

Joe

Would definitely stay at the Deep Blue Utila Resort! We stayed there in May 2005. It is true that it is only accessible by boat, but really...there's nothing to do in town anyway. You'll do so much diving with Deep Blue that you won't want to do anything but hit your room early each night. If you have any energy left at the end of the day, shoot pool or throw darts in their lodge.

The resort is new and is building their clientel. The owners, Jasmine and Steve, will make sure that you have a great diving exerience. Even though my husband and I were the only ones at the resort that week, we were taken to the North side every day. We never lifted our gear, even when it was stored at the harbor side and we wanted to do a shore dive in front of the resort. One of the staff will wheelbarrow your belongings to the ocean side and have it ready for you. Great shore diving in front of the resort...even if the entry is rocky.

PM me if you want more specifics....I still can't seem to take the time to adequately write out our experience. There are a couple of things to keep in mind...such as the beds tend to be kind of hard in the 2nd lodge...but the singles in the 1st lodge seem softer. I checked them out because I found the hardness of the "king" bed somewhat difficult to take after a few days. Also, Jaz cooks solid food, but she's a Brit...so there's not a ton of seasonings and sauces used. (Jaz - love the curry, though!) She also makes awesome mashed potatoes, banana cake, and tres leches. Once the resort takes off, she has plans to hire a chef. Hmmmmm.....I'm an awesome cook...AND I brew beer. Career change, maybe?

Enjoy Utila!

Chek out www.mango-inn.com or utiladivecentre.com. These two work together and offer a great atmosphere and fun time. PM me for more details.

You definitley can't go wrong with Utila Lodge,clean,great food excellent staff you won't find anything that's as close to being at home.
The owners are very friendly the boat and dive staff are always top notch.

I would add my vote for Deep Blue. Steve and Jasmine are REALLY great folks to be with. They are the owners and operators. It is away from all of the other resorts and town and the quiet and solitude is great. Their dive operation is very good and the food is good as well. As far as the beds go; most of the beds in that part of the world are a bit on the firm side, but I found them to be comfortable. The A/C can be marginal, but some of the folks in our group said that theirs was too cold; luck of the draw I guess. Enjoy your trip, wherever you stay.

DSDO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom