Utilia-Trudy's Suites/Underwater Vision Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers laurence

For a week, I'd pick the Lighthouse too. From what I hear about Utila in September, I'd really want those ocean breezes.

I can see the desire for a TV however after the first week, I didn't even turn mine on. The internet kept me up to date and entertained.

I don't know how late they Party at UWV, I never actually noticed. They party at Alton's, but it's lights out by 10 pm and anyone who wants to continue on has to head "downtown"

Lighthouse is a good choice I recommend bay view rooms on the top floor. Bigger, better views and no over head footsteps at night.

As for Alton's being a party dive center - it always puzzles me this reputation we have as we rarely hold evening events. In fact the last staff meeting the crew requested that we do something as it has been so long since that last evening event! Sure we have a small bar but on most nights of the week it is closed by 7:30pm. Very rarely it stays open as long as 10pm. We had a dock party and sunset cruise last week and that ran on until about 10:30pm but that was the first for maybe two months!

Anyway, we are probably going to do a regular evening event, more based around BBQ than drinking thanks to our new resident chef & DM Mico, still not sure if we make this a fortnightly or monthly event.

Hi Rob

Reading Alton's Facebook page and Trip Advisor reviews would give the impression that Alton's is the place to head for good times. There was only one that really caught my attention and prompted me to send that email to Julie, the one where I asked whether I might be "too old for Alton's" it was the TA review that mentioned the music on the boat being so loud that the diver couldn't hear dive briefings.

Link

Hey :)
Not that I want to give the impression that we don't have some good times - we try and strike a balance between the backpacker and the more experienced diver. Something any dive shop on this island has to try and do. And of course you can't please all the people all time, but I try my hardest! The TA review was an unfortunate review which we acted upon at the time. Basically down to a grumpy boat captain not taking well to requests to turn his music down. It was dealt with and shouldn't be a problem. Same thing with the negative smoking review on TA. We have now had smoking banned from the boats for sometime. And yes, I know it should have been done before but it was done immediately following that review.

On balance I believe (although I may be wrong!) that we probably deal with a larger demographic of more experienced divers than most of the dive shops on the island that are not also resorts of one kind or another. I am happy to say that we attract plenty of business from the hotels and vacation homes down this end of the island and even offer a free pick up service from any where that has road/track access.

For me all aspects of a persons stay on the island are important. Their topside experience as much as the dive experience. But if I had to say where we put the most effort and focus then without doubt it is the diving service we give.

It's a tough balance to strike IMO as partying and diving are not really compatible with each other. I understand the need to market both to the typical, no wait, let me qualify that as from what I've seen there's no typical Utila traveller, the stereotypical, Utila traveller.

I agree that Alton's is one of the few shops that aren't attached to a resort of some kind that are actually interested in attracting divers as well as students. I'm curious to know how many people do any online research before selecting a shop. Quite a few I'd imagine whether it be before they left for their trip or on the island itself after talking to the shops in person.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the reason UDC is such a powerhouse is because of their marketing. UDC shows up everywhere I just saw them this morning on the FB page of some obscure website that I stumbled on while following a thorntree link.

I guess I'm one of the travelers that did a decent amount of internet research before I went to Utila. I ended up diving with Alton's. Rob and Julie were very responsive to all my questions related to north side diving, bottom times, and keeping away from brand new O/W students. I can't offer an opinion on other dive shops, since I dove with Alton's, but we had a great experience with them. Rob and Julie helped with all the planning, re-planning, and emergency planning when plans fell apart, and apart again. Not due to Alton's, but due to hotel reservations being lost, and buses and ferries not running on Good Friday. All week we dove where we wanted to go, and had a decent divemaster assigned to us for the week. Alton's does strike a balance between the young, backpacker party crowd, and divers like myself, over 40, and showing up to dive period. I heartily recommend them.

Well, air, hotel, and diving is all booked... Now just the three month wait. Thankfully, I head to Bonaire in a few weeks for a week to hold me over till then. I'll agree that Alton's Facebook page does give off a bit of a party vibe, but I've never been known to run from a couple beers after a good day of diving. As long as they are professionals underwater, and I'm not under with a bunch of drunks, that doesn't phase me. It was the same things that keesmon mentioned that made me decide on Alton's. And Stout, you are right about UDC. In addition, they, by far, have the most complete, and professional looking website. I'm sure that appeals to some, but a lot of us know that bigger doesn't mean better (when it comes to dive shops). If anything, it just means more crowded boats, which I'm no fan of.

Alton's showed up in very few of my internet searches, but it came up more than most by way of recommendation. And I'll take positive word of mouth over a fancy website any day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom