UWATEC Galileo SOL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
does anyone know if the UWATEC Galileo SOL does nitrox as well?
I cant find any reading on it other than it tells you your hart rate!

does anyone know if the UWATEC Galileo SOL does nitrox as well?
I cant find any reading on it other than it tells you your hart rate!

For the $2000.00 price tag on the Sol, it had better do nitrox..... and sing me to sleep as well! :D To answer your question, yes, the Sol does nitrox, 21% to 100%.

Go to this link to get more technical info about the Sol.

However, before plunking down your hard earned dollars on the Sol... make sure you take a look at the new Suunto HelO2. It is Suunto's new trimix dive computer... tracks up to 8 gases, and about HALF the price of the Sol.

:)

USMCRet

LOL should have seen that coming!

Hi Avonthediver,

I have the SOL and really enjoy it. It does indeed do Nitrox, and is *very* easy to setup for the mix using just a few buttons.

The SOL also has a built-in compass, that works no matter the angle on your wrist (whether you hold it flat or upright), and from what I can tell, it seems less susceptable to magnetic interference than a regular compass (although that's just from a few experiences comparing the two back-and-forth).

It *is* expensive, there is no doubt to that, but it's been a very reliable, well-supported, and easy-to-use device. There is supposed to be a software upgrade that will get to advanced gas mixes as well in the future (Tri-Mix, HeliOX, etc.).

Regards,

-Spencer Yonker

As already posted here, the Galileo SOL does do nitrox and has the compass and does track your heart rate - however it also does a whole lot more (like track 2 sources of air pressure at one time - yours and your buddies). I have no idea if this is important to you or not, but it allows me to track my kids remaining pressure without constantly asking them - I just swim close (as I should already be) and look at my own wrist. There is no doubt it is expensive - but it really does everything a recreational diver wants - and a bit more.

thanks to all for the feedback on this thing an ill look into the suunto computer as well!

Oooooooo....my dive buddy here in CO just sent me the software update for the SOL! I'll have to check it out when I get time at home!

-S

I've been diving the Sol for over a year now and love it. It has to be one of the best computers on the market today, as it should be given its price tag. I picked up a second transmitter for my wife's reg setup and love the ability to track her air usage. Funny, it's virtually identical to mine :D

No offense, but unless you have an unusual amount of disposable income AND an unusual amount of interest in dive computers specifically, I think spending the $1500+ on the sol is a waste of money. Your question kind of makes me think that you don't have a great deal of understanding or interest in computers. For typical recreational diving, less is definitely more when it comes to computers. You need depth, dive time, NDL, N2 loading, ascent rate, nitrox use, and not much else. There is absolutely no proven connection between dive computer conservatism and dive safety. IMO, by far the most important things about a computer are that it's reliable and easy to use.

After spending thousands on gear, training, travel, just so I can spend a few hours underwater in the right places, the last thing I want to do while there is play with a complicated computer. If I want to know my heart rate, I'll just take my pulse, or visit a doctor's office. If I want to know my buddy's air, I'll ask.

A very good friend of mine used to say: "I am just not rich enough to buy cheap shoes."

If you are going to be in diving for the long term, it pays to buy your last computer first. Otherwise you end up like me, buying a new model every couple of years as your horizons increase.

Back
Top Bottom