Uwatec smart pro battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It certainly makes sense having traced the reset pins of the SmartPro Rev. E1. Unfortunately, I returned to the client the Rev. D version I had sitting on my bech for a while before you came up with your very good idea. I will have to wait for the next Smart Pro Rev. D to land at my desk to perform the trick. However I understand at least two other posters on this very same thread (Ema13 was one of them),might have a unit ready for the try. Keep up the good work.

hi tbrady,
thank you very much.
i tried to repeat your procedure on mine RevE1 (always showing the wrench and E6 error) but, probably also because my poor english, nothing happened.

let's call pins from left to right with numbers 1-2-3(ic)-4 (negative battery)
can you please explain step by step the procedure?
what i did is
a. connect 1 to 4 then 2 to 3 --> nothing
b. connect 2 to 4 then 1 to 3 (swapping 1 and 2) --> nothing else

thank you in advance for your patience
vi3da

I just replaced a battery in a Smart Pro rev E1. Before I finished, I traced the reset pins. Attached your will see where I labeled the reset pins, and the pin on a IC where one goes. The other goes to the negative side of the battery. I confirmed this by doing a reset jump between battery (-) and this pin on the IC. Now I need someone with a rev D to try a reset by jumping from battery (-) and the pin indicated in my pic. You must have the wrench symbol on the screen before trying this.
View attachment 146449

The E1 is very easy as explained in this thread, all you have to do is jump the two pins on the left. BUT you must have a wrench symbol first. If you do not, disconnect the battery and start over. (I have shorted the battery quickly to reset to wrench but I cannot recommend this to anyone)

Viterda:

1. Tbrady says that in order to proceed you have to have ONLY the wrench symbol. You say you have both, the wrench and the E6 Error on the display. Connect and disconnect the new battery until only the wrench shows up.

2. According to my understanding of Tbrady´s post, all you have to do to reset the computer is to jump (your notation) PIN 3 (IC circuit) to PIN 4, the battery minus. Forget about PINS 1 and 2. The do not exist in a Smart Pro Revision D. They only exist in Revision E and were traced by Tbrady to yours PINS 3 and 4.

3. Tell us what happens after implementing my interpretation of Tbrady´s theory.

Hi, I registered just to update you guys on the reset of Rev.D Smart Pro. I bought a used, dead computer with the intention of replacing the battery by myself. Upon the opening of the device i was faced with the dreaded Rev.D mainboard. I soldered in a new battery in no time, and tried resetting by shorting the pin indicated by tbrady to the ground (big thanks for tracing the pins). Unfortunately that was a no go. After a couple more tries, the computer was as dead as right after replacing the battery (only the service icon displayed).

So I checked the voltage of that pin, and it was at 0V! That got me thinking and checked the resistance between that pin and the ground - and it read 0.1 Ohm. So I figured either the microcontroller is shorted, or that pin is grounded in Rev.D by design. There was no other option, because the version of the NEC IC was the same between my Rev.D and Rev.E1 on tbrady's pic. Having nothing to lose, I disconnected the battery and unsoldered that pin, using a stainless needle as a lever. Connected the battery again, and when I tried to check the voltage of that pin, I got a nice happy beep from the device! :D

It SEEMS to be working, however I'm not familiar with Uwatec computers, and don't know if the temperature is supposed to be blinking all the time. As to the reset pin, I guess I'll have to leave it unconnected now.

Anyway, I'm happy to share my research here, I hope somebody will find it useful.

hi all,
no good news unfortunately (for me). i tried to apply the procedure you all described but always the E6 error appears. i also tried to power (temporary) the unit with an external powersupply, hoping my battery was little low voltage but i still didn't solve.
thank you and see you next tentative
bye
vi3da

Viterda:

Thanks for the effort and posting your results, in spite of not having any luck with the creature. I embarked myself in a kind of a personal crusade to break the code of the Smart Pro Rev. D. I guess that at this point in time, the secretive attitude of Scubapro is my highest source of motivation.

DeDragonSlayer, I can see how this would work. Apparently Uwatec removed the hardware reset capability from the Rev D board but you found a way around that. Did you tack the pin back down after it reset?
Viterda, did you try DeDragonSlayer's procedure?
I am looking forward to getting another Rev D to try it myself.

If after testing all functions of the Rev. D computer (I mean configuring the date, time, setting different Nitrox percentages, etc) it works OK, I would definitively leave open to the air the "deDragonslayer pin". This would permit to reset the computer next time the battery is replaced. It is perfectly possible that our friends at Uwatec decided to remove the hardware reset capability by connecting permanently to ground "deDragonslayer pin".

I left the the pin unconnected, so that I wouldn't have to mess with it again when and if I need to change the battery again. Looks like the microcontroller triggers reset not by voltage but rather by edge detect. However when the pin is left hanging in the air, it is obviously quite sensitive, so that even touching it with a finger triggers reset. I thought it might be wise to solder a tiny SMD capacitor between that pin and the pad under it to simulate Rev.E layout and prevent any spontaneous resets, but then I decided not to because that would require extreme precision. Besides, after filling with oil the device works properly, and I haven't noticed the computer reset on its own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom