Uwatec Smart Pro or Suunto Stinger???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pauline

Contributor
Reaction score
Help needed!

I'm shopping around for my first divecomputer, and I'm still a little bit confused by it all...

I've got about €550 to spend, so that should get me a good one, but now the question is: which one is that?

Since I already have a good console and I don't like just giving that one up, I'm looking for a wrist mounted one.

About my divestyle: I'm hoping to complete my DM course soon, love U/W photography and mostly hang around between 20M-35M. So for now, I'm looking for something that can replace the wheel, given me more information and is easy to use.
But I don't know how my interests will develop, and I would feel stupid to come to the conclusion in a few years that I've bought a computer that doesn't fit my needs anymore, so I'd like a little bit more than just the basic. Definitely a computer that can work with enriched air.

People around me have shouted 2 things to me:
Uwatec SmartPro and Suunto Stinger.

They both seem to have tons of functions, but are very different in appearance.
I must say that I do like the idea of a "watch" format computer. (I like to wear something that expensive with me on holidays, not just leave it a the diveschool or hotel...)
But someone told me you can't change the battery yourself on the stinger, and that's a pain in the a**. True?

Someone else told me "Uwatec, the rest is nothing"
Is there really that big a difference in quality between the 2?

Is there anyone out there who's had the chance to test both, and can tell me some more?

Thanks for the help!

Greetz,

Pau.

the only thing i can say is that Suunto has a very conservative dive profile, which is why i have stayed away from their models. i don't know if the Stinger also suffers
from this "too conservative" approach.

Stinger has worked great for me ... the battery DOES have to be changed by a shop, but that should only happen every couple of years, so no big deal.

It's small, so it's always with me if I choose to dive on the spur-of-the-moment (we do a lot of that out here) ... which is handy for keeping track of my gas absorption ... there are times when it goes for weeeks without zeroing-out.

algorithm. Its conservative, but I don't see that as a drawback. I dive Vypers and Cobras and have been very pleased. As you probably have already read, there are/were(?) issues with the Uwatecs..I suspect those have been resolved, but if you are buying used, make sure you know what you are getting.

Good luck.

Otter:
As you probably have already read, there are/were(?) issues with the Uwatecs..I suspect those have been resolved, but if you are buying used, make sure you know what you are getting.

Good luck.

Thanks!
I found some warnings about that on certain sites, but it's still a little unclear if the problems have been resolved yet or not???
I'm buying new, so I should hope the shop I buy it from will know..

Greetz,

Pauline.

I'd suggest you go with Uwatec. I had a Nitrox-pro for several years and now have a Smartcom integrated console mount in addition. The pro has maybe 400 dives on it since '98 and still has 65% batter life left. The Smartcom is newer and it was replace in less than three weeks via the recall last year, it has 98% battery left after more than a year in use.

Diversauras:
I'd suggest you go with Uwatec. I had a Nitrox-pro for several years and now have a Smartcom integrated console mount in addition. The pro has maybe 400 dives on it since '98 and still has 65% batter life left. The Smartcom is newer and it was replace in less than three weeks via the recall last year, it has 98% battery left after more than a year in use.

Thansk for the reply!
I have read different things about the batterylife of the Smart Pro. Happy to hear yours is living up to the promises.

Is it true that this computer comes with the great deal of a lifelong free batterychange? Also read that somewhere on this forum. That would save big $.

Greetz,

Pauline.

Yes, it does have a lifetime free battery repalcement. I have many other friends with machines from Uwatec and except for some issues like gas shifting everybody is happy with them.

Pauline:
Help needed!

I'm shopping around for my first divecomputer, and I'm still a little bit confused by it all...

I've got about €550 to spend, so that should get me a good one, but now the question is: which one is that?

Since I already have a good console and I don't like just giving that one up, I'm looking for a wrist mounted one.

About my divestyle: I'm hoping to complete my DM course soon, love U/W photography and mostly hang around between 20M-35M. So for now, I'm looking for something that can replace the wheel, given me more information and is easy to use.
But I don't know how my interests will develop, and I would feel stupid to come to the conclusion in a few years that I've bought a computer that doesn't fit my needs anymore, so I'd like a little bit more than just the basic. Definitely a computer that can work with enriched air.

People around me have shouted 2 things to me:
Uwatec SmartPro and Suunto Stinger.

They both seem to have tons of functions, but are very different in appearance.
I must say that I do like the idea of a "watch" format computer. (I like to wear something that expensive with me on holidays, not just leave it a the diveschool or hotel...)
But someone told me you can't change the battery yourself on the stinger, and that's a pain in the a**. True?

Someone else told me "Uwatec, the rest is nothing"
Is there really that big a difference in quality between the 2?

Is there anyone out there who's had the chance to test both, and can tell me some more?

Thanks for the help!

Greetz,

Pau.

Go with suunto I whent true alot of problem with Uwatec there customer support is the worst I know

goood luck

Hm...this is getting difficult.

It's always nice to know a few pro's and con's of the computers, but now it seems I can only do it wrong, haha..

I now have divers telling me:
"Suunto is what you need, rest is crap"
"Uwatec is what you need, rest is crap"

Where to go from here???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom