Vacation Divers Looking for Resort with best "Beach Diving", Pref All Inclusive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't really recommend any all inclusive stuff, but I can say that if you go to Mactan island in the Philippines you absolutely wont be disappointed. I've got about 70 dives in the area there and I can honestly say the very best dives are right off shore. I can put you in touch with some local DMs that can take care of everything but accommodations for you.

Kontiki house reef is about 20 m offshore for fantastic coral and tropical fish up to 15m after the 20m is a 1000m wall for your enjoyment.
Just down the way a bit is Marigondon cave, about 8m across and 10m high, its more like a cavern that you can pop into for a few mins with no real caveing experience. Top of the cave is at 30m, bottom at 40m, so its best to slip in at the top, the cave goes up to about 25m once your inside.

There are a couple sanctuaries a 10 min boat ride from shore too, a shipwreck (more wreck than ship these days though) and a downed plane (at 15m and 18m respectively)

Its best to rent a boat, then dive "offshore" that way you can go up and down the coast and not deal with traffic.

There are all flavors of resorts to stay at along the same coast, but those will run you between 100 and 250usd a night. I'd recommend plantation bay, its reasonably priced and close marigondon cave. best spot for shore dive is kontiki by far though. they do have rooms there, and a restaurant, not 5 star, but fantastic just the same.

There is also dolfin, whale shark, threasher shark and sea turtle diving on the main island if you dont mind traveling by land on a tour to see them all.

Actually this place has the best shore diving i've ever seen on cebu, at about 100 usd a night, you'll feel like you own the place. I know the owner, he's an englishman who's been diving cebu for the last 30 years, he will take great care of you. I believe he has dive equipment there for let as well, I bring my own when I'm there, so i'm not sure. The resort is about a 2 hour drive from the airport though.

I should mention that the international airport is on Mactan, the same island as all the dives i mentioned before. 10/15 mins from the airport to plantation bay.

Take a look at the area, there is a lot of diving there, so you wont have any trouble finding some all inclusive deals.

Cheers and good luck!
Jason
There is almost unanimous agreement here that "popping into" a cave without cave training is a foolish thing to do.

I think the diving off Mactan is not as good as some of the nearby alternatives, but it's not bad, especially if you are comparing it to Caribbean destinations. It has the appeal of a direct flight from Hong Kong and a short trip from the airport to the hotel. I stayed at the Shangri-la, which was more than adequate in every respect—as you would expect from a Shangri-la—but it was also disappointing. Just the scale of it, I think, created an un-luxurious atmosphere, despite their best efforts. Too many people, in other words, and that is why I have not returned.

There is almost unanimous agreement here that "popping into" a cave without cave training is a foolish thing to do.

I think the diving off Mactan is not as good as some of the nearby alternatives, but it's not bad, especially if you are comparing it to Caribbean destinations. It has the appeal of a direct flight from Hong Kong and a short trip from the airport to the hotel. I stayed at the Shangri-la, which was more than adequate in every respect—as you would expect from a Shangri-la—but it was also disappointing. Just the scale of it, I think, created an un-luxurious atmosphere, despite their best efforts. Too many people, in other words, and that is why I have not returned.

At 8m wide and 10m high, its not really much of a "cave". It is a cave in that after about 20m in it narrows, but popping into the mouth is not overly challenging. I Agree with you on shangri la. Thats why I recommended Plantation bay. the resort is broken up into small semi private areas with pools, while having the larger resort / pool areas if you want them. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Your right that there are better places in the phils to dive, but non of them are 15 minutes from the airport ;D Kontiki house reef has the best shore dive on mactan (that I've dove anyway) and the ability to walk down to your gear in your slippers before getting in the water should surely appeal to the OP.

I actually see Japanese uw magazine photographers wandering around there all the time, if thats anything to go by. Vis there isn't the greatest though.

I actually see Japanese uw magazine photographers wandering around there all the time, if thats anything to go by. Vis there isn't the greatest though.

These two facts :hm: may somehow be inter-related.

I would recommend CoCo View Resort on Roatan, if ease of diving, good shore dive, and All inclusive is what you want. The food is decent, the diving is abundant, very relaxing with no cars at the resort, hammocks abound. I did like 21+ dives the week I was there, and still found time to fall asleep in the hammock many times, and just relax. They have a nice nitrox package price, and offer a few extras if you want to venture. Everything is close and effortless, and the price is easy to swallow, especially if you've been paying to go to Sandals.

I was kind-of waiting for someone who has been there to mention that.

If you look at the literal requirements of the OP, that is the obvious answer.... if you've been around.

What we'd like to try is a resort that has some pretty good diving from the beach. We don't necessarily need "THE BEST REEF EVER", or "THE MOST AWESOM SEALIFE".... we really just like being underwater together and exploring the surroundings.
Of course the more cool things there are under the surface the better, but it's not the main draw for us.

We mainly go on the vacations to relax and be alone. We want to put out as little effort as possible to get in the water.

Nice Accomadations (All Inclusive is preferred)
Beach diving (hopefully with either a service to bring tanks to us, or dive shop close to the dive spot)

They were describing CCV. I do 27 in a week, most are shore dives... plus naps.

No real beach at CCV though...and it is far from being like a Sandals! Love CCV, but not for people who like luxury. When we were there a newly certified couple was there who thought it would be luxury and complained about the rustic resort and family style meals all day long. Glad they weren't on our boat.

I would say you might want to think about Ramons in Belize. Nice beach, decent diving. You can get all-inclusive there I think. Belize Premier Caribbean Beachfront Resorts It is probably exactly what you are looking for according to your post.

Bonaire is not.... once again, we love the island, but no fancy resorts, no all-inclusives, no gorgeous beaches. Divers paradise, YES.

Little Cayman Resort is also a good option with all-inclusive and great diving, but no beaches as far as I know. The Little Cayman Beach Resort
If you could forgo the all-inclusive requirement, I would suggest Grand Cayman. Cobalt Coast or
Cayman Islands Scuba Diving Resort

you might want to check out some of the Virgin Islands... I think you might find something there. I don't know alot about them because we pick our trips by different criterion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom