vacation ideas please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
after a looooooong time wo any vacation and any diving I can finally escape wonderful NYC and warm and friendly office :bonk:and head to a warm waters.

I'm thinking going to FL for 10 days and have no reservations or even a plan yet.
I'll be with my girl friend who like water, But in a pool :wink: .
Most likely we will sleep for 3 days ...
Anyway. I had this crazy ( most likely ) idea of driving through all Keys, diving here and there. Staying in decent hotels and then flying (? is it possible and how much ? ) back to Miami or FT. L. before departure.

Maybe it's too much. Or too expensive. Don't know. Maybe i should stay in one place and one spend one day in Miami dancing and drinking :) and another driving to Keys and diving a few spots..

This is what i have and what i want. I would appreciate any ideas and all options will be considered

If you are flying into Ft L or Miami, I don't see why you couldn't rent a car and do a road trip through the keys. You should be able to get some awesome diving in that way and also see some great land sites as well. I'm not sure, however, if it will make sense to do a one-way drive and then hop on a plane from somewhere in the keys up to Ft L or Miami. By the time you get through security, board the flight, do the flight, get off the flight, and get your luggage you could have done the drive. Along with that, I think one-way car rentals are generally pretty pricey. Just a heads up though. There is only one road running through the keys back to the mainland. We are in the middle of hurricane season and any storm activity that results in an evac of the keys turns US Highway 1 into US Parking Lot 1... I'm not saying that to scare you off, if we avoided things because there was a chance of bad weather we would never do anything, I just wanted to fill you in so you were aware.

That's pretty good advice! With 10 days you have lots of options using Miami/Ft. Laud as a hub. Down to the Keys and/or up to Boynton Beach. Here's a good boat in Boynton:
Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks
Be aware (if you haven't been there) the Keys has almost no "beach" area for swimming .... great diving, but no beach. Here's a good boat in Keys:
CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS VOTED #1 DIVE SHOP IN FLORIDA KEYS..2006 & 2007

There are lots more ...

Miami/Ft. Laud area has the nice beaches for your girlfriend. If you wind up in Key West I recommend this place for lodging:
Key West hotel - Key West Place To Stay, key west lodging, hotels, accommodations, weddings, and dining. Key West, Florida
Not cheap but very nice and you can walk nearly anywhere from the hotel. It's actually a bunch of refurbed Key West style homes surrounding a big courtyard with pools in the center. Quiet and private.

thank you very much for all links and ideas. I'm looking into all that right now.
Thank you!
Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom