valium and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Similar to AFdive above, medications are a no go for aviators where I come from.

For our Naval Helicopter Pilots (who obviously cannot be sea-sick even before flying and adding on air-sickness), Median Nerve Pressure is an options.
-There are some limited trials which show efficacy but the science/research quality is not absolutely robust at present so take it with a pinch of salt.
-you can find a short write-up on the basis at: How Biobands Work (I am in no way affiliated to this company)

You could possibly give it trial yourself the next time you take a boat trip.
-press down firmly on the middle of your wrist proximal (closer to your elbow) to the wrist crease with your thumb of the alternate hand when you're feeling nauseous.
-if it helps, well, congratulations.

Just letting you know of what non-pharmacological/"no medications" options there are available
-heck, you could probably even DIY with a rubber band and a bead.

Cheers!

Hi ewq,

The original post here was made on June 9th, 2012, and the poster (Puchinita5) has not signed back onto the board since June 14th, 2012.

As such, you may wish to email or PM her.

Regards,

DocVikingo

PS: There is very little published research into acupressure bands used specifically to treat motion sickness, but what there is is not particulary encouraging, e.g. --> Efficacy of acupressure and acustimu... [Aviat Space Environ Med. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

5 Hydroxy tryptamine receptor blockers such as Zofran might be a viable option for you, but your MD should make the call.

Absolutely Zofran! I will confess I'm the consummate spewer and the fish eat well if there is any wave action. Fortunately, once I'm down there is no problem (at least until I surface). Zofran works extremely well for me, no adverse side effects, and the poor fish go hungry. Absolutely part of my save-a-dive kit.

Hi JohnN,

The original post here was made on June 9th, 2012, and the OP (Puchinita5) has not signed back onto the board since June 14th, 2012. As such, you may wish to email or PM her.

Regarding Zofran, it's good that you are experiencing no adverse effects. However, some users do develop such side effects as confusion, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, fever, headache, shortness of breath & weakness. As with all meds, the diver should give Zofran a fair trial topside before for submerging on the drug. BTW, brand name Zofran is rather pricey; go with the generic, ondansetron, instead.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi. So I was prescribed valium by a doctor the other day, not for psychological reasons but actually I was prescribed it for motion sickness.

I have tried dramamine and bonine for motion sickness and neither have worked in any way whatsoever. I've only gone scuba diving twice as part of my certification and I loved it but my last dive ( i was supposed to go on three instead of two) I got so unbelieavably motion sick and was throwing up on the boat. It was definitely the 20 minute boat ride that did it for me but it seems most dives require a boat ride and I hate that I can't get into scuba diving because of my motion sickness.

I asked my doctor what else I could take instead of dramamine or bonine, and he suggested I take 2.5 mg dose of valium 30 minutes before. I didn't mention it for scuba diving, I asked for long car rides and flights...but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever used valium for motion sickness and if this would be a bad thing to take before scuba diving. He said something that not only does it relax you, but it also suppresses something in your inner ear which helps you not get motion sick.

I've tried it once so far for a long car ride, and to be honest I'm not sure if I noticed any effect at all except that I didn't get very sick. But I didn't feel drowsy or very relaxed from what I could notice.

I'll double check with him obviously before I do anything but was wondering if anybody else had input.

I struggle with mild anxiety, but that anxiety has the *potential* to run amok under water. Anxiety below means rapid, shallow breathing, which is dangerous. You just end up re-breathing mostly exhaled CO2, and the problem compounds with each quick breath. You need to know what you are dealing with and how it affects you. For me, benzodiazepines have a relaxing, focusing effect. They don't make me confused or drowsy at all at a reasonable, prescribed dose. I have used them diving with great success. I am calm and relaxed and can focus on what I need to do. Flooded mask, air problem, other problem, no problem. I can troubleshoot or could call on my buddy for assistance in a calm fashion. I use MUCH less air. When others are running out, I have plenty left. I can stay sharp and perceptive, but I don't get stuck on bad thoughts, etc. I can THOROUGHLY enjoy the experience. At least as far as anxiety is concerned, if you are not going down to narcosis depths (where a benzo MAY magnify narcosis--but who knows?), the benefits for me are weighty. No adverse effects for me, and because the possibility of anxiety taking over out of the blue or in a dicey situation is almost wholly mitigated (in my experience), the dive, on balance, is much, much safer...for me and everyone else. Of course, I am relatively new to diving. I can see not needing it at all once I get more accustomed to it. I use it rarely anyway. If you use them often, you might be dealing with a level of anxiety that could be very problematic in scuba. And I would never recommend taking something like diazepam for the first time while diving. You need to have a thorough understanding of how it affects YOU first. If it slows your thinking to a point where you can't react quickly and decisively, it obviously won't work out. And of course, consult your doctor before mixing any med with diving.

Hi Big Willie

The original post here was made on June 9th, 2012, and the OP (Puchinita5) has not signed back onto the board since June 14th, 2012. As such, you may wish to email or PM her.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Hi Big Willie

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Thanks. I did notice that, but I figured I'd reply for the benefit of others who might happen by. I haven't found a lot on the Internet about this issue.

Back
Top Bottom