Vehicle recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a Ford Edge. I've found it good compromise for daily driving (I'm a computer tech, and frequently have to throw pc's and monitors in) and recreational diving. I've had three guys with two tanks each and all the rest of the gear, with some room left over. I opted for the rubber mat in the back to protect the carpet, and if I have to fold the seat(s) down for any reason, I do the tarp / cloth trick to protect the back of the seats. They do fold down mostly flat. Creature comforts are nice, with heated seats, climate control, and Sirius radio. All in all, a really comfortable drive, and gas mileage is pretty good, even loaded.

The Element is a good choice but capacity is just a little too low, plus 2011 was the last model year.

Yep, the Element had potential (didn't know they' discontinued it), but the GVWR for a vehicle advertised as "load up people and gear and go exploring" was just pitiful.

I happened by my Toyota dealer today - inspired by your OP :) - and checked a 2010 4Runner; it did have 4 tie-down points in the rearmost cargo area. This one also had the pull-out tray, which would be a really nice option for diving with limited onsite table/gear prep space. The sales person didn't know the recommended max load on those tie-down points, but I'm sure it'd be in the specs somewhere.

If you're looking used, the Chevy Avalanche is in the same category as the Ridgeline and the Sport Trac (with Crew Cab). I do like the idea of a bed for all the heavy/dirty gear that would quickly mess up the inside of a nice SUV. But unfortunately everyone stopped making them except for Honda - and they've done nothing to update the model since '08 or '09. But all of those should fit a couple of child seats in the rear.

The Tacoma comes in a full King Cab, with rear seats; the one we bought has fold-down seats in the back, with seat belts, that might well be adaptable to carseats.

I'm looking for a daily driver with capacity to haul enough gear for two cave divers with scooters. Nothing's standing out, but the requirements are pretty demanding.

It needs to have good ground clearance (8" or more); a strong, flat cargo area; and secure points for tying down doubles in case of rapid deceleration. Removable seats are great for that last part but everything current seems to be folding, sometimes on an incline, which is even worse.

I recognize some customization may be needed. Trucks and closed vans aren't an option.

Chevy Tahoe.

but we love our Toyota Tacoma.

Well in what, eight years, something in common. Finally.

As to the comfort and driving, we have pulled a chunky Boston Whaler over the Rockies and driven coast to coast so I am not sure about the comfort thing. It is after all a 4WD truck with off road capability second only to my Jeep Wrangler. Mileage is not the best but I have a mild lift and larger tires (the Rocky Mountain thing) but I can get over 20 if I drive under 60. Frankly, I would prefer the diesel HiLux the rest of the word gets. We have the capper on the short wheelbase TRD OR with four doors.

If it were not full size I would like the new EcoBoost Ford F150, to bad they cheated us again and the diesel Ranger the rest of the world gets, we do not. I prefer non-full size vehicles, but---.

Maybe a four door Jeep Wrangler JK with the new 265 horsepower Pentastar V6? The rear seats come out of all Wranglers, even the sissy four door versions.

N

I'm looking for a daily driver with capacity to haul enough gear for two cave divers with scooters. Nothing's standing out, but the requirements are pretty demanding.

It needs to have good ground clearance (8" or more); a strong, flat cargo area; and secure points for tying down doubles in case of rapid deceleration. Removable seats are great for that last part but everything current seems to be folding, sometimes on an incline, which is even worse.

I recognize some customization may be needed. Trucks and closed vans aren't an option.
My Toyota FJ Cruiser is 4wheel drive, carries a lot of gear, hauls a heavy trailer and does everything that I ask it to do. It has 70 K miles and has had nothing replaced but a battery and tires. I can't ask for a better dive vehicle!

---------- Post added December 13th, 2012 at 09:50 PM ----------

Well in what, eight years, something in common. Finally.

As to the comfort and driving, we have pulled a chunky Boston Whaler over the Rockies and driven coast to coast so I am not sure about the comfort thing. It is after all a 4WD truck with off road capability second only to my Jeep Wrangler. Mileage is not the best but I have a mild lift and larger tires (the Rocky Mountain thing) but I can get over 20 if I drive under 60. Frankly, I would prefer the diesel HiLux the rest of the word gets. We have the capper on the short wheelbase TRD OR with four doors.

If it were not full size I would like the new EcoBoost Ford F150, to bad they cheated us again and the diesel Ranger the rest of the world gets, we do not. I prefer non-full size vehicles, but---.

Maybe a four door Jeep Wrangler JK with the new 265 horsepower Pentastar V6? The rear seats come out of all Wranglers, even the sissy four door versions.

N
Jeeps are good! My husband owns the largest jeep forum, I think maybe in the world? Arizona Virtual Jeep Club Forum. I had to be different and get the FJ, which he actually loves.

Look into the newer [ 2008-2012] Nissan Pathfinders/Armada's.....I've got one and load it up w/cave gear; 3-4 sets of doubles, deco bottles, stage bottles, scooters, suits etc.....Built a wooden box & tank racks for the inside, then sprayed it w/a water proof coating to protect the cargo area.......The V-8 engine handles the weight no problem.......Didn't measure the ground clearance but I can crawl under it to change the oil.........

Avalanche......30+ tanks, 5 divers, all their gear (under hard covers) and haul the boat.
I've had mine since new in 02....has to be the best ever dive vehicle.

I'm kind of looking myself right now. All the dive sites are minimum 4 hours for me, so I want to stay away from anything truck based. Plus, I HATE SUVs. Real truck based ones or new style car based ones, hate them all. Newer car based ones are the worst. Newer station wagons don't gain much cargo space, you can just stack stuff a little higher. I'm leaning towards a 98-01 7 series BMW. Prices aren't bad, tons of luxury and big trunk for gear. I'm not sure how it will be for parking lot diving if I ever get back up to the North West again. The fact I really want a V-12 doesn't have anything to do with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom