Vehicle recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious-- for those of you traveling once a month or every other month to cave country, would it not be cheaper to rent the dive vehicle? Priceline has dirt cheap name your own price vehicles, then you can keep something with better gas mileage for around town and save the miles!

... would it not be cheaper to rent the dive vehicle?

It might; Just checked for my area. Renting a full size SUV - Chevy Tahoe or similar - would run about $300 for a Friday-to-Monday rental plus insurance and gas.

It might; Just checked for my area. Renting a full size SUV - Chevy Tahoe or similar - would run about $300 for a Friday-to-Monday rental plus insurance and gas.

I would bet that your credit card and/or personal auto insurance covers rental cars.

I would bet that your credit card and/or personal auto insurance covers rental cars.

Slight thread drift - sorry:

Credit card cover some of the insurance available - I can never remember which :) I'm always hesitant to use my personal auto insurance for anything other than "total loss" type situations. The way insurance co.s operate these days, even a few "no fault" claims puts you at risk for "no renewal". Also, if you have filed claims within a certain # of years, many insurance companies won't take you on as a client. What a racket - and clearly a "sore point" of mine :wink:

Back on topic:

The 4Runner tie down points in the cargo area, are recommended for "tying down loose load" in the user manual. I was unable to find any load rating. Also, the basic 4Runner without 3rd row seats or "pull-out" tray has the most "height" in the cargo area. The tray looses you ~3" of height. The 3rd row seat loose you ~6" of height.

When we leave here and move on to our next life adventure, my place of abode I hope to located so that I can use my bicycles to get around on for daily errands. But for now, I am a sportscar person who leads a truck life. I think that will likely be the case even when we move on. You can hate on trucks all you want but gas mileage is not the only cost to ownership. Just yesterday I saw a flat panel TV come off the roof of some bitzsy little ecobox. Bet that was expensive. Hope they used American Express!

Trucks tow boats, carry my kayaks and bicycles, carry hiking gear far into the mountains down high clearance and 4WD access only, carry plants home from the nursery, load bags of mulch, tow my tractor out of the pond, carry lumber from the yard to remodel the house, take my telescopes to a dark sky site and among a million other things, swallow up dive gear.

Renting a mini van like the Dodge Caravan with the stow and go seats might be fun. I like them pretty good. Vehicle capacity is poor but it is a rental, who cares if the suspension is crunched. I have rented vehicles for trips. I have reached a point in life where schedules are to be avoided. My own vehicle lets me do as I wish but renting is a good option, no doubt about it. Your auto insurance should take care of you, no need to buy the expensive renter insurance, check with your agent.

I see so many people who are car poor purchasing BMWs and such who cannot really afford them. A paid for vehicle offsets a lot of gasoline. I have two Jeeps, a Jeep project and a Tacoma, all paid for. All have low mileage. I work on a cash basis most times anyways. I would have to like something or need something an awful lot to make a payment on it or sign a contract etc. Do not tie yourself into a depreciating asset just for a couple of extra MPG or some more cylinders or a 0-60 time .3 seconds faster. No car payments, now we are talking. Buy for the long run.

N

My big comnplaint against all things truck based is the ride. My daily driver is a 4x4, but I would not want to drive it more than 2-3 hours. I think a brand new 74 Caprice wagon would be perfect, but you just can't find those anymore.

The Honda Ridgeline... it's got the haul of a truck and the comfort of a luxury Honda. It's even got a trunk under the bed. I have right at 212,000 miles on mine and you still can't feel it idle.

Plusses:

• Huge navigation screen. Easier to find sites on and off road.
  • Covered bed. Mine used to lock, but I've never had anything stolen out of it. Also, keeping wet crap out of the passenger compartment helps keep the smells down. :D
  • Front and back seats. Can carry 5 peeps or the back seat folds up and away.
  • Heated leather seats. They don't get "wet" and when you are chilled, they are a God send.
  • Ultra low maintenance. I have put in one timing belt (with water pump), replaced the rear springs, a number of brake jobs, several sets of tires and the odd repair for when I hit something and break stuff. I'm about due for the second set of spark plugs and I'll redo the timing belt/water pump at 250,000 miles. I might even spring for wires this time around on the Spark Plugs.
  • V-6 engine has a LOT of power.
  • Not enough can be said about the trunk. I keep spares and O2 in there along with shovels and other tools.

Negatives:

• Less than 20 mpg

And to think that hardly a hundred years ago people crossed the continent not far from where I live in Conestoga Wagons and now we have to have heated seats and navigation and a touch screen TV. OK. People have really gotten soft.

N

People have really gotten soft.
More like impatient. I have more miles in a year than most people ever got out of a single Conestoga wagon in a life time.

Hello people, he said trucks and closed vans are not an option. That leaves, well...ah...nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom