Vertical vehicle tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen other strap style vertical racks in pickup trucks clamping to the front of bed. It is hard in a car or SUV because plastic interior panels have no strength.

you could make something similar out of welded rod or angle iron that would hold the doubles but you would need someone that can weld. I have a customer that makes things out of rod. They made a cabinet for fire Departmemt turn out gear. I have talked to them about tank racks and it is doable but custom fabrication not cheep.

I've been shore diving out of the new car this week and am learning where things should go.

I'm still thinking of making the tanks vertical.

I'm currently putting the 130's and AL80 on the folded down rear seat, with the rest of my gear in 3 shallow tubs and a gear bag or two in the trunk (along with luggage/Christmas presents).

I'm thinking of making a removable Unistrut style frame to secure in the tanks against the seat backs. The little space between the seat back and tanks should suffice for soft bags once the rig is assembled (I generally only disassemble on the trip home through the mountains, or after a few dives and dropping tanks off to be filled.

I'm also just thinking about keeping the tanks on the back seat like I'm currently doing, and then just making a shelf for the bins above.

My issue this week, is there is always a bin/bag that is in the way of the rotation of gear in the trunk (not to mention, gear is everywhere) at the moment.

On another note, I'm looking at adding a light to the trunk door. Early AM and late afternoon gets pretty dark. I have a headlamp (and dive lights) but wouldn't mind something more permanent in the vehicle when I don't have my dive gear handy.

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom