Very Frank BP/Wing VS BCD Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I mean it's more of a "practice" issue than a "training" issue. You don't need a formal course to start using a BP/wings, although it is helpful to have someone close by who you can lean on for help with set-up and adjustment and for usage tips.

Pockets -- yes, you are right, there are products out there that can be attached to the harness. I am trying to avoid using these to stay away from the "Michelin Man" effect I spoke of above.

Java,
I have worked through all the same issues as you and eventually decided to get the Seaquest Balance instead of the BP system.

This has yet to be tested (by me) but it seems to have many of the benefits of the BP/Wing without some of the issues. It has:

- Back inflation
- Very clean lines
- Weight integration that appears to be less bulky than the Halcyon option
- A very comfortable harness
- rear trim weight pockets
- Shoulder and bottom dump

There has been a fair amount of comment on the Balance here - most of it good so you should check it out.

Graham

Grajan,
While I am sure many will steer me away from a BCD the SQ Balance is what is on my list if I ditch the BP/W setup.

While I seem to understand the benefits of the BP/W At this moment I can't in good faith say I will be going that direction. As suggested before I will start out with rental units and try to rent a back inflated BC (if its available).

If all goes well I will consider a long trip out to a dealer who sells Halcyon near here ( www.northeastscubasupply.com ). I hope they rent such gear since it will give me the oppourtunity to try before I buy.

Originally posted by Grajan
Java,
I have worked through all the same issues as you and eventually decided to get the Seaquest Balance instead of the BP system.

This has yet to be tested (by me) but it seems to have many of the benefits of the BP/Wing without some of the issues. It has:

- Back inflation
- Very clean lines
- Weight integration that appears to be less bulky than the Halcyon option
- A very comfortable harness
- rear trim weight pockets
- Shoulder and bottom dump

There has been a fair amount of comment on the Balance here - most of it good so you should check it out.

Graham

Java,

I think your plan makes sense. Renting will let you look at a variety of models. Hopefully this will include a BP as well.

It wasn't until I tried BP/wings in a pool last year and had a chance to speak with many folks who use BP/wings (online and in person) and to see their gear up close that I decided to make the switch. If it was the first BC I had ever used, I probably would have said, "OK, this isn't bad". Having used a jacket BC for a while, the advantages were more obvious.

Of course, this was in comparison to my BC. I am not here to indict jacket BCs as a whole ;-)

When it comes to dive gear, I am not an absolutist, so I am sure there is more than one BC option out there that will work fine for your needs.

Good luck!

-LD

Back
Top Bottom