Trip Report Video - Diving the Fury Shoals (Egypt) from Wadi Lahami, Red Sea Diving Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct, no shore diving at Wadi Lahami. There is a house reef, but you also go there by RIB (takes just a few minutes).

Early in the morning there are two boat dives on the Fury Shoals. Reefs normally only reachable by liveaboard. Most of these sites are included in the package. For some of the outer reefs, like Sataya dolphin reef, you have to pay a small fee. After the two morning dives they bring you back to the resort for lunch. After lunch there is one dive (more nearby then the morning dives). And just before diner there is a nightdive (also nearby). So four dives in total, every day.

A couple of years ago we where at Nakari and Shagra (the other Red Sea Safari camps). At Nakari and Shagra you can dive from shore on the housereef. We did not miss shorediving at Lahami. Diving from the RIB's is pretty comfortable. You assemble your equipment and change tanks on the boat. The dive sites arround Shagra and Nakari are beautiful (and so are the housereefs). But the site near Lahami are even better! And the resort much more relaxed and less crowded.

So one has to visit each one of them on the trip. One week each at least 🤠

Lovely video. Getting me even more fired up for my trip in August! You can see why so many people go back to Egypt again and again. I've been to Marsa Shagra in a former life and that was a great experience.

I'll also be upgrading to a GoPro Hero 11 from a Hero 7 before my trip. Timing sucks re: likely release of the Hero 12, but I can live with that.

How did you get on with video lights getting in/out Egypt? I've heard some nightmare stories regarding battery confiscation.

Lovely video. Getting me even more fired up for my trip in August! You can see why so many people go back to Egypt again and again. I've been to Marsa Shagra in a former life and that was a great experience.

I'll also be upgrading to a GoPro Hero 11 from a Hero 7 before my trip. Timing sucks re: likely release of the Hero 12, but I can live with that.

How did you get on with video lights getting in/out Egypt? I've heard some nightmare stories regarding battery confiscation.
I haven't heard any reports of problems with video lights, don't take a drone as that is a jailable offence, getting an 18 inch side scan sonar in took a couple of hours of negotiation :)

If you are flying into Hurghada with dive and underwater camera gear you generally are OK as they see plenty of that stuff, flying into Cairo can be a bit more of a pain as you have to explain what each bit does...

I haven't heard any reports of problems with video lights, don't take a drone as that is a jailable offence, getting an 18 inch side scan sonar in took a couple of hours of negotiation :)

If you are flying into Hurghada with dive and underwater camera gear you generally are OK as they see plenty of that stuff, flying into Cairo can be a bit more of a pain as you have to explain what each bit does...

Thanks mate, that's awesome. It is the CAI-HRG leg of my journey I'm most worried about. Should I remove all batteries from my devices. Video lights are going to be a huge pain in the arse.

Thanks mate, that's awesome. It is the CAI-HRG leg of my journey I'm most worried about. Should I remove all batteries from my devices. Video lights are going to be a huge pain in the arse.
From memory I had a battery in each light (disconnected) + one spare battery - you have to have the lights + spare batteries in your carryon - but they may tell you something different at checkin - airlines aren't consistent and even the same airline can have inconsistencies

One other tip - when flying out of Egypt arrive at HRG airport at least 4hours before your flight - and expect to have to go through security again in CAI - and expect that to be some of the most thorough security you have ever been through - multiple multiple checks to pass through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom