Trip Report Video - Diving the Fury Shoals (Egypt) from Wadi Lahami, Red Sea Diving Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other tip - when flying out of Egypt arrive at HRG airport at least 4hours before your flight - and expect to have to go through security again in CAI - and expect that to be some of the most thorough security you have ever been through - multiple multiple checks to pass through.

I would NEVER go through Cairo airport with camera or dive equipment again. If I am going diving in red sea, I'd fly direct to the closest airport to my diving destination.

Cairo airport has some of the most corrupt people on earth. The will make your life miserable and shake you down every step of the way.

That's encouraging BoltSnap. Any tips for avoiding hassle?

I'd fly direct to the closest airport to my diving destination. If you are going to Sharm, fly direct from outside Egypt to Sharm airport. If going to Hurgada or Marsa Alam, fly direct there from outside Egypt too. Avoid having to go through Cairo Airport at any cost.

They《mod edit》 wanted me to go back to customs on the return trip to go over all camera and dive equipment to make sure that I didn't "sell" anything in Egypt among other BS. They held me there for over 2 hours in customs in Cairo going through every single piece of equipment. They simply wanted cash. They held my buddy for seven hours so we missed all of our flights to Sharm that day and had to overnight in Cairo. We couldn't find a room in nearby hotels when they let go of us at 02:00!!! We had to stay in a hotel's lobby until morning, no rooms at all. My friend had to pay to get out after 7 hours of detention. He doesn't know why he was detained, he only understood that he had to pay to get out. They get VERY nervous with zoom lenses BTW. Tell them that everything you have is for underwater use not for overland use.

It's darn near impossible to get to Marsa Alam, or even Hurghada, from the US without going through Cairo. I would imagine there are many tourists with cameras in and out of Cairo on a daily basis. I'm not disputing your experience @BoltSnap but if it were routine how could Egypt have any sort of tourism business?

It's darn near impossible to get to Marsa Alam, or even Hurghada, from the US without going through Cairo. I would imagine there are many tourists with cameras in and out of Cairo on a daily basis. I'm not disputing your experience @BoltSnap but if it were routine how could Egypt have any sort of tourism business?
You go through Europe to Sharm or Hurghada or marsa alam.

If I ever go back, I'd fly to Istanbul then to my destination instead of going through Cairo.

I would imagine there are many tourists with cameras in and out of Cairo on a daily basis. I'm not disputing your experience @BoltSnap
I am talking about UW Photo equipment. I was surprised myself with their attitude but I was told by the locals in Sharm to not go through Cairo again and to fly direct to Sharm. The airport staff at dive destinations are much more sophisticated and used to divers bringing in their gear.

Even the guy at the x-ray machine in Cairo wanted bakshish to let us through.

Very nicely done. It makes me think about putting up with the travel again to get onto a liveaboard down there.

You go through Europe to Sharm or Hurghada or marsa alam.
I agree that this may sound weird or not that convenient.
However, the layover/transit at an european airport is certainly with less hassle than the transit in Cairo where you may have to pass immigration and change terminal on top of all the harassment you may have to face after a long flight.
I don't know how this will unfold once you look at the costs but in my opinion avoiding that stress will be worth some USD/EUR/"insert favourite currency here".
Taking the example of FRA, there are several flights per week to SSH, RMF, HRG. I guess it will be the same for IST or other big hubs on this side of the pond.

It feel like I am hijacking this thread with my travel details, so I will continue the discussion in the thread I started here.

Get a flight to London from the U.S. and then connect onto one of the charter flights to Hurghada - EasyJet etc. - or use Turkish Air via Istanbul direct to Hurghada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom