Video from the Eureka and Elly oil rigs from this past Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice, as usual. :) It was interesting to see the difference between the Grace (which I dove earlier this year) and the E/E's. I have not dove the latter yet, owing only to an unfortunately-timed bout of food poisoning last month...

Can't wait to reschedule now!

Great vid, just curious what water temps/depth for the rig dives are like? Thanks booth

Very good video. Nicely done!

booth22:
Great vid, just curious what water temps/depth for the rig dives are like? Thanks booth

Last week the temp was in the 50's around 80' and below. All the rigs are deep, the Eureka bottoms out somewhere around 350'. Here's another video shot by my friend earlier this year...different perspective from 310'

pcorliss:
I believe that it (they) are "salps"... I got some footage some time back on the same rigs...although your shot is much better...

Thanks Peter! Googled "salps" and found aan image of the congregation shown in Michael's video as well as what we saw at Deer Creek. Unfortunately, I was unable to access your video Peter.

Cheers!

Great Video!!

I've never seen a Garibaldi throw a shell and a Brittle Star before.....lol

booth22:

Water temp was in the mid 50s at depth, a little warmer in the top 20 feet or so. There was a thermocline at 30-40 feet, but not too extreme. We did our first dive to 127 feet and water temp wasn't bad at all.

- MikeT

LLKZ16:
Great Video!!

I've never seen a Garibaldi throw a shell and a Brittle Star before.....lol

I've done it before, it's wild how large of an object a Male Garibaldi will remove from his nest. I've done it with an urchin (yea, I know "that's mean Mike!"), a rock, and a huge 4"+ live cone snail. With the cone snail the Garibaldi picked it up by the top, so it looked like the Garibaldi was using a giant snail megaphone!

If you find a solitary male Garibaldi gurarding an nest with no eggs and the nest is somewhat flat (they are mostly vertical nests from my experience). Then find anything laying around within a reasonable size and lay it on the nest. Then back off a few feet.

Over a normal reef the Male Garibaldi will take the object really far away from his nest, no matter if it is a dead shell or a living creature. The Garibadli makes sure it "never" gets back to his nest :)

This one on the rigs seemed to know that tossing stuff off the edge gets it far away, weird that the first Brittlestar he took into the rigs, he swam almost 20 feet I think and tossed it down the center of the rig. Then the rest he swam toward me and the closer edge.

I didn't mean to drop the brittlestars on his nest, just the shell. I didn't see them when I tossed the dead mussle in.

Another Garibaldi trick is use a mirror. I have never tried it, but hear they go crazy directly at the mirror. I wonder if filming thru a one way mirror would work?

...Thank you everyone for your nice comments. I had lots of fun diving the rigs and just as much fun editing it.

- MikeT

Back
Top Bottom