video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the description of the video, I can't really see what intrinsic value that it would lend to the casual viewer (albiet diver). Watching another person's misery is not going to benefit anyone, and I think there is a lot of morbid curiosity being stirred here. We all have the capacity for it, that's why it's hard to drag your eyes away from road kill.

I agree with the people who feel that this man should be shown more respect, than for his death to be openly available to anyone with the $$. Of course we all want to know why he died- but viewing it is another thing entirely. The video should be inspected by professional accident analysts, then given to to the family to do what they will. None of us have to see it in order to "learn" from it- reports should be available to those who want to avoid his mistakes, if he even made any. JMO.

May he rest in peace, and his family be comforted.

Foo

I suppose it might possibly be helpful for people who dive to 270m - otherwise I don't see the point. I don't think it should be shown, who can it really help?

I probably won't watch the video even if it is released. But I will argue that it should be available. My comments are intended to be general in regards to such videos unless otherwise specified.

Foo:
I think there is a lot of morbid curiosity being stirred here
Morbid curiosity is a survival trait. When we something in a state we really do not wish to join, we study it and try to figure out what happened to avoid doing the same. Reading accident reports just does not have the same effect on our psychee.

Foo:
reports should be available to those who want to avoid his mistakes, if he even made any.
He died, he must have made some mistake. Reports, especially when regarding deaths, tend to "show respect for the dead." Invariably they have a bias. Source material is usually better than analysis. Besides, who says the experts catch everything.

Foo:
Watching another person's misery is not going to benefit anyone
At least in this specific instance, I do not see how this will show any misery. He died in probably the most peacful way possible, he simply fell asleep.

I firmly believe that information should be available. Even if I choose not to look at it, others should be able to choose differently. How could I possibly know what is of any significance to anyone else. One man's trash is another's treasure. Or in this case, one man's death could be another's life.

gle:
Reading accident reports just does not have the same effect on our psychee.

Do we have to SEE the death in order to understand it? If it takes that for a person to be careful, then that person might want to reevaluate their preparedness and readiness to dive in the first place. I am sufficiently convinced that I will embolize under certain circumstances that I have been trained to avoid, and have read about- I do not have to watch it happen to a person, in order to convice myself to avoid it.

[/QUOTE]He died, he must have made some mistake. [/QUOTE]

Equipment failure, through no fault of his own? Isn't that always a possibility?

Foo

Foo:
From the description of the video, I can't really see what intrinsic value that it would lend to the casual viewer (albiet diver)...The video should be inspected by professional accident analysts, then given to to the family to do what they will. None of us have to see it in order to "learn" from it- reports should be available to those who want to avoid his mistakes, if he even made any. JMO.

May he rest in peace, and his family be comforted.

Foo

I finally read through all the entries on this thread. As a trained safety professional, with over 25 years in the field and having investigated diving accidents in the past, I would like to second the quote by Foo above. There are many, many factors which go into an accident analysis, and simply viewing the video probably will not be of much benifit to those untrained in accident investigation. Even divers who may wish to view it may come away with a false premise based on only viewing the video.

From seeing his web site, I would venture that the video was to be used, but in a very edited manner. He has several clips of video on the website, but none are all-inclusive of a dive (which is very long, by the way--sometimes 6 hours from what I saw).

It appears that there will be no in-depth accident investigation. To conduct such an investigation, one would need not only the video, but autopsy results, history information from everyone involved, the complete dive profile, including gas mixtures used, and other information.

That information would include an detailed investigation of the equipment used. The rebreather, for instance, should have been impounded, with no one allowed to touch it until after it was analyzed, and a chain of custody established immediately after the recovery. Here are some of the possibilities that should have been determined:

*The gas in the breathing bags should have been analyzed for the O2, dilutent, and CO2 content.
*The scrubber should have been analyzed to determine whether it had failed, and the electronics looked at for malfunctions.
*It is also possible that the workload, combined with the depth, overtaxed the rebreather's ability to scrub the air, but nobody would know unless there were definative test results on that particular unit.
*Divers are also known to modify their equipment, and this would need to be determined.

In short, there are many, many possibilities, and without a thorough examination and analysis all we are left with is speculation.

If these, and other measures I don't have time to detail were looked at, then we could learn more. Until then, we probably won't understand what happened.

Concerning whether to show the video, I would be against it for the following reasons:

--For one thing, it would highlight the fact that some think it is reasonable to dive to 220 meters, doing extensive decompression without the support necessary to do it safely (if that is even possible to conceive--safely diving to 200+ meters, I mean). Rebreather technology may be advanced, but this is stretching the limits, and more than a bit stretching the limits too.

--Secondly, as mentioned above, it could give false impressions about what happened. I assume there is no dialog from the diver (he was not wearing a FFM), so we really don't quite know what was actually happening (I have not at this time seen the video either).

--Apparently, it does show a diver who has been dead and underwater for 10 years. Even if someone approved this (and that includes the family), it is doubtful anyone would like to be seen publically like this. Most likely the reason for the bag was that they had no confidence of the diver staying in one piece during recovery.

--Finally, it probably would be sensationalized by the press.

It would have been good if a really thorough accident investigation was conducted. But the fact that nobody knows any of the results tells me it was not, and therefore the whole story will never be known. Speculation will abound, and the video would only feed the rumors.

Having read of his and his wife's work, I feel this is a great tragedy, and this world has lost a very interesting person. It should give pause to anyone who is considering diving deep, no matter the reason. My condelesces to the family, and the community in Hong Kong and elsewhere where he was known and loved.

SeaRat

Like I said in a previous post, I have seen the video and there is very little if anything to be learned from it. It is only of value to the team that formed part of the dive, and maybe to the accident investigation team.

No sense in showing it.

I haven't read the whole thread and I haven't seen the video but, IMO, whoever owns the video sould decide what to do with it.

As far as I'm concerned most of what's on tv is junk. Much of it is sick junk but I the ratings are good.

The diver knew that the dive was dangerous. He took a camera and apparantly intended to show and tell every one about the dive. This is his last chance.

Perhaps the question should be "Should the recovery effort have been filmed in the first place?"

After all, if it is acceptable to film the recovery of the original diver's body, then why would it somehow be wrong to show that same film just because it also captures the last minutes of the second diver?

I wouldn't have a problem with it being avaliable to be shown to divers ONLY. Not released to TV or the media.

Obviously he ment for the tape to be seen. He knew there was a risk of dying.

I can see the benifit of letting divers see the tape. We all know there is a risk. Tech divers take an even greater risk. A diver knows when they go down they may not come up. But no one thinks it will happen to them or their friends. Sure we read about it or hear about it, but most of us have never seen it.

I believe that we need to really understand what could happen. Not to take the fun or joy out of diving. But I have met too many divers who ignore their saftey and that of others. Maybe this tape wouldn't be the best way to do that (from what I've heard is on it), but we need something.

However, I see no need for the tape to be aired publicly. A lay person doesn't need to see this. It would only serve to harm the image of diving and especialy technical diving. And to increase the media's paycheck.

pilot fish:
Isn't that way beyond any dive depth? Never heard of that kind of depth for divers. Is that a misprint? :06:

Sheck Exley made a dive to around 875 ft in a cave somewhere.

He died on an attempt to 1018ft in mexico, probably due to an out of gas situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom